55 Gallon water Bath Proofing Still

ViolentBlue

We've had a lot of interest in out 30 gallon boilers, but a number of people have asked for larger boilers and waterbath/steam jacketed.

I've come up with a design based on our larger 150 gallon Still.

the boiler is double jacketed, and will be able accommodate waterbath heat, or steam heat.

it will not have the insulation layer that the larger boilers do, so won't be as efficient with steam heat, but it is possible.

for heating source, there will be the ability to heat the water bath with electric elements, or with addition of a skirt, a gas fired burner could be used.

Looking for 2 early adopters, we need to presell 2 units to cover tooling costs, we will give special pricing for these 2 presold units.

Pricing is not yet confirmed, but we are estimating a $7000 - $8500 with the 6" column

55gallonstarter.jpg

just going through final design revision, looking into additional costs of the agitator.

managed to squeek this in at just under 8' of height, with less than 2" to spare, this will fit under any standard 8ft ceiling.

55outline.JPG

from the picture you can see that its a 4 plate system

10 caps per plate, and we're using our own Bubblecap system.

c0d72982.jpg

caps are 99.99% oxygen free copper, Risers are ROHS certified lead free brass.

each plate should have approximately 3/4" fluid retention

yes total volume of fluid retention does have an impact on performance. its a delicate balancing act too much or too little and inefficiencies take over.

the system ultimately is driven by the heat input, so 7kw of heat is the ideal to drive this column.

Are you using the same caps and wash depth for your larger 12" columns? It seems like you might not be able to go much deeper with these caps..

no these caps are different, smaller diameter and height than the ones on the 12" column

Can you email me some details on the turnkey system; is it set up w/ an electric heating element that runs on 220v that can be easily removed and converted to steam? Also, do you have pressure relief valves on the column and boiler. Lastly, are the steam jacket pressure rated/certified?

I'm very interested. thanks,

Aaron

all very good questions. Turnkey systems will be set up however the end user wants them done. standard would be electric heat, but we can set them up for low pressure steam is you like. keep in mind that they do not have a layer of insulation on the jacket. we will also sell the units without the control systems if you want to do that yourself.

there will be overpressure and vacuum break valves on both the jacket and the boiler (on the turn key versions).

and finally, the boilers and jackets will be pressure tested at the factory, but we have not sought certification as their intended use is low pressure. they will however be quite capable of handling steam heat. you may have to pursue a "one off" certification for your particular application.

the factory we use does our larger boilers which are pressure rated, and this will be constructed in the same manner.

I'd drop you an email, if I had your email address-sorry.

if you would like to contact me directly

email- steven@artisancopperworks.com

or cell- 403-795-0602

Maybe you mentioned it in earlier posts, but what gauge is the steel?

Boiler is spec'd at 3mm 304 stainless steel. we're not going cheap on this one.

many of the parts will be spun to shape, so this will stretch the metal a little thinner, but not a to a significant degree.

wanted to throw this out there for you folks who are interested in such things, 304 stainless is the standard for most food grade applications, but we've been looking into some other stainless grades. there are some withing the 400 series that have same or similar properties as far as chemical etching/oxidation, but have superior heat transfer properties. would such a thing be desireable to you as a prospective customer, or would the safety of tried and true be more comfortable?

I've had some inquirys to the cost of the boiler alone. we weren't planning on having any boilers made by themselves. but we can have one made for you, approximately 90 day turn around, and cost would be $6k plus shipping

build time might be less if you were to order at the same time as we started a production run.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some inquirys to the cost of the boiler alone. we weren't planning on having any boilers made by themselves. but we can have one made for you, approximately 90 day turn around, and cost would be $4k

build time might be less if you were to order at the same time as we started a production run.

do you guys make any mash tuns like a 300 to 350 gal combi tun with the false bottom screen . maybe water bath heated and the bath heated by electrice burners. maybe 4 burners to get it hot fast and than you could unplug a couple of them to hold to the heat you want. if tou could make something like that how much do you think it would cost? cheers

do you guys make any mash tuns like a 300 to 350 gal combi tun with the false bottom screen . maybe water bath heated and the bath heated by electrice burners. maybe 4 burners to get it hot fast and than you could unplug a couple of them to hold to the heat you want. if tou could make something like that how much do you think it would cost? cheers

yes we can build that, but we'll need to talk a little more about specs.

email me steven@artisancopperworks.com

• 2 weeks later...

An agitator is one of the things we've gone back and forth on, so for us it will probably just come down to cost.

The German builders (notably Carls) install an ISO (ASME) flange and cap it off. Adding a flange mounted stirrer is an easy option after market. They are essential for fruit washes, and heavy rums. But, water bathing may negate a stirrer.

Bad News, Factory jacked up my price on this unit, so I won't be able to prebuild them like I thought.

we can build to order at a cost of $15,000 with agitator and basic control.

that puts them into the range of the 150 gallon potstills. But as a proofing still, it is still quite reasonably priced.