Filtering Equipment

Nick Carbone

Just curious what people are using to filter spirit (80 to 120 proof). Is anyone using the plate filters used in wine production? I don't mean carbone filtering I am talking about removing particulate in the spirit from macerated material.

Need to know what equipment works best for small batch processing filters and pumps.

Thanks

Nick

Nick- Carbone filtering? I hope you don't have to filter yourself out of your product! ;-)> (I'd use one of the emoticons provided by the forum, but they don't have any with goatees > )

But seriously, You mean filtering after infusing or cold compounding fruit/botanicals in spirits?

I'd like to know what others are doing as well. Also, at what strength abv. of spirits do you need to use which types of filters and filtering devices? When is the alcohol strength to high to use filters with plastic parts that aren't alcohol resistant?

(I'm going to have to do some research on the several types of filters we have for our winery/brewery, to see if they can handle high proof spirits.)

In addition, at what strength abv. of spirits do you need to use an alcohol/flammable liquid safe pump?

And alcohol resistant/FDA approved hoses?

Just curious what people are using to filter spirit (80 to 120 proof). Is anyone using the plate filters used in wine production? I don't mean carbone filtering I am talking about removing particulate in the spirit from macerated material.

Need to know what equipment works best for small batch processing filters and pumps.

Thanks

Nick

I am not talking about filtering out flavor. I am talking about parsing out some of the fatty acids that end up in the distillate after a fruit maceration and the sediment from an herb maceration (ie absinthe). As I understand it it from talking to a single malt whiskey distiller from Scotland that they have the same problem after diluting the spirit with water. Some of the fatty acids come out of solution and create a haze. He told me he does not like to chill filter because it removes desirable flavors. He said they filter at a positive temperature (above zero Celsius) Weird way to say it but he's Scottish. I think he said they use plate filters but I know his operation is much larger than mine or others on here so I thought I'd see what was being used.

I know that you have to get a pump that can handle alcohol and not degrade or casue a fire hazard. I will not use anything on spirit 80 proof or above that isn't stainless steel or Pharm grade silicon. You will get stuff leaching into the product so all the wetted parts in a pump and the tranfer hoses must be resistent.

I think the answer is some small version of a plate filter system.

Hello Guy,

We also use the Filter device from Lewis at Bavarian. Do you have a reliable supplier for the filter sheets?

Ours came with Beko KD-10 & CP03S. Was that fine enough for you?

Thanks,

Bob

We have the KD-10 and the CP02S (not sure what the difference is). It's definitely fine enough for our use. We bought quite a few filters with it and still have a 3 month supply. I did meet someone that sells them but I can't seem to find them now. If you find a Begerow dealer in the US they will refer you to someone who can sell them- that's how I found the pads originally- unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment. Let me know if you come across them.