MicroLiquor Spirit Awards

Do you think this is worthwhile to enter http://www.microliquorawards.com/ ?

It combines tasting and packaging, so in order to receive the highest award one must please the package design firm.

I wonder how they will handle entries from the packaging they themselves designed? Automatic triple gold?

Winning awards means things for brands. Most consumers don't know what that award really entails, seeing only "gold medal at ________ spirits/rum/etc. competition/awards/festival". The mere fact that there is always more than one gold or silver or bronze awarded is misunderstood by almost everyone outside the industry. Let's face it, to most, a gold medal means the best one. How can there be more than one "best"? Likewise for silver and bronze, these generally mean second and third best, except for spirits competitions where they are awarded in quantity.

That said, one must draw the line somewhere, and I tend to agree with Jonathon that the MicroLiquor Awards may not be up to snuff. Besides, I really don't like the idea of including packaging as a factor in a tasting competition. I package my liquor in rinsed out Aunt Jemima bottles.

• 7 years later...

I entered this for 2018.  The packaging is a separate category from the spirits.  I asked and was allowed to submit two bottles rather than three and the submittal fee is actually lower than most.  I think having awards helps with consumers, which is why I am doing it.  

On 10/8/2011 at 10:32 PM, Jonathan Forester said:

Also three bottles is more than I have heard about for samples. Usually it's two bottles.

One of the biggest/most important competitions in the world, IWSC (the International Wines and Spirits Competition) in London has always requested four. So it's not -that- unusual.