Organic Mixers project

Quirk

I just backed this project on Kickstarter (a crowd-funding platform):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/liquoriste/liquoriste-botanical-barmaids

Looks like these Kansas gals are making some really nice mixers to complement the craft spirits you all are making.

I've run a successful Kickstarter campaign in the past, and have to say it was a great experience. I think there is probably an opportunity to use their platform to raise money for a startup distillery, or possibly just to buy a piece of equipment. I assume there are some regulations about who can invest in a distillery that may get in the way, but technically the Kickstarter platform is not an investment opportunity, it's simple a donation mechanism. I'm going to look into it.

I have contributed through Kickstarter for a couple of documentary films as well as to sponsor a music group's cutting a CD. It is a nice mechanism, but I am not sure how I would use it to start up an activity for a business like a distillery directly. On the other hand, could be great for a community or entertainment activity that the distillery would like to co-sponsor and generate buzz.

Just read an article in the Wall St. Journal about a bill before congress that would allow crowd sourcing funds for up to $1 Million without the usual SEC issues. Investors could invest no more than 10% of their annual income. Could make opening a distillery easier... I believe the article said it may get stalled in the senate.