F1 usage + Cask Storage

Lenny

I'm looking for a little ammo...

Anyone out there operating their distillery under an F1 usage code *and* aging spirit within oak casks in quantities beyond the open or closed container storage limits (as casked spirit should be considered an exception to the storage limits in the IFC) — could you please let me know the name/location of your dsp?

I've run into some late in the game opposition from local officials and I'm looking to site a few examples of other distilleries around the country that are operating in the same manner that I intend to.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a little ammo...

Anyone out there operating their distillery under an F1 usage code *and* aging spirit within oak casks in quantities beyond the open or closed container storage limits (as casked spirit should be considered an exception to the storage limits in the IFC) — could you please let me know the name/location of your dsp?

I've run into some late in the game opposition from local officials and I'm looking to site a few examples of other distilleries around the country that are operating in the same manner that I intend to.

Thanks

i know one guy i cant say his name but ran into the same problem and said fuck it and filled about 150 casks and no one has said anything to him and that was about a year ago.

This can be tricky, because I think the interpretation is left to the locals. Similar problem exists regarding bottled spirits. They do count toward the storage total in the F1 area, because the exemption for bottled spirits only applies to a mercantile or M occupancy. But F1 and M occupancies can exist in the same building and may exist in some cases without barriers. But the barrel exemption I think is different, because I think it is specifically called out as an exemption to the 120/240 gallon total without reference to a specific occupancy requirement, I think?

Language is a skill I think you should work on. There are many ladies that use this forum and one should be respectful. Coop

sorry coop where im from the ladies cus worse than the boys. but ill watch my mouth for you. ive been a concrete finisher for the last 15 years. some times i forget how sensitive non construction people can be to words. cheers

I myself am a retired building contractor. After 46 years I have heard it all and under every condition imaginable, but the ladies should always be treated with respect. Thanks for your indulgence in an old mans way. Coop

I appriciate all the resonces. I actually did get this all sorted out - ended up hiring on an architect with a ton of working knowledge of craft distilleries. He presented a letter to my ahj citing the ifc and ibc code that supports cask storage being and exception to the maq's. My local fire inspector decided that his personal knowlege of all things fire related should trump this portion of the code - at which point I went to every higher athority I could find. Ultimatly the fire inspector was overuled (much to his dismay) by the county building inspector and I'm now in the clear to store quantities of casked spirit as I see fit (and I probably owe the county building inspector a bottle).