Infusions

slayermk_I

Hi there, I´ve been doing some infusions back at home using bourbon as a base. At first the resulting liquor had a very strong aroma and taste but with time they both diminished. Is this a product of air-contact or something else? Will it be necesary to ad preservants?

Thank you guys for your replies.

Did you get any solids settling out?

I've done a cherry bourbon infusion that lost its cherry over time. I noticed sediment and guessed that the cherries either lowered the proof or the pH or both, allowed some oak solids to settle out of solution. I think this might have adsorbed some of the cherry flavor and sugars.

• 2 months later...

There was a slight mist at the bottom of the bottle and we thought it might be due to the sugar syrup. We were using tea bags for the infusion left 24 hours and then they were retired. At first it tasted great but as said it lost some of it.

When infusing, the flavor is strongest in the beginning of the process. Over time a few things happen. If there are solids carrying flavor and they settle or come out of solution, the flavor weakens. The other factor is the mellowing of the flavor elements as they merge with or meld into into the base spirit. This is a natural condition of the aging process unlike straight spirits, rye, burbon, malts, etc. ageing in wood, where the wood imports flavor over time.