Engraving Glass

Sixdegrees

I'd highly recomend Cobhthaigh Celtique (coffeymates@comcast.net). The do a lot of this stuff for distilleries, and they are whiskey lovers to boot! Instead of the chemical etching process that most plases use they actually hand blast each glass which sets up a really nice relief effect on the crystal.

Here's a photo of mine...

380464_210615172351832_115732818506735_489287_1260507458_n.jpg

I want to have some Glencairn tasting glasses engraved with my company name/logo. Anyone know of someone that does this? I have the glasses, just need the engraver.

Glencairn will do it for you when you purchase the glasses wholesale from them, which seemed to be the most cost effective way I found so far.

• 5 weeks later...

Also, as a bit of clarification, hand blasting is simply sandblasting and is a manufacturing process not to be confused with what most people understand hand crafted to mean. They make a photo resist with your logo, blast it with sand/aluminum oxide and you get a frosted image. Engraving is a process of grinding the image by hand on a lathe with stone or diamond impregnated wheels which will give you an image with a much greater level of depth. Most likely not cost effective for a distillery shop item.

Not sure what term to associate with the work that Cobhthaigh Celtique does, but it does have significan depth/reflief as compared to the process that glencarin now uses which appears to be more of a surface frosting (chemical etch of some sort, maybe?).

Sorry, Deerhammer, Here is a bit more clarification. Sandblasting does give a depth of cut chemical etching most often will not. However, it is usually only a single depth and very short (1/32") which is what your image shows. Engraving on the other hand has a greater ability to make significant varied depths to create a more sculpted look. This is possible with a sandblaster but as a glass artist who does a lot of this on my work, it is very difficult to make it look good. I am in now way making a comment on the quality of the work or its impact to costumers. (just saying as tone is often lost in posting) Your glasses are cool and I would buy one if I ever visit you. www.rickschneiderglass.com