Experimental License

5masts

Has anyone started off with an experimental license from the TTB? I have not spoken with anyone who has actually done it this way, but several people in the industry (lawyers, new distillers) have recommended I take this path, including the TTB representative I spoke with last week. Is there any benefit, or am I just creating a headache for myself down the road?

Lynn

Michigan Brewing Company has some stills set up under an experimental license. I don't recall whether the license is in their name or through Michigan State University, who they partner with, but you may want to give them a call.

We thought about an experimental license but decided against it. Our decision was based on wanting cash flow sooner rather than later, which might not be a concern for you.

Michigan Brewing Company has some stills set up under an experimental license. I don't recall whether the license is in their name or through Michigan State University, who they partner with, but you may want to give them a call.

We thought about an experimental license but decided against it. Our decision was based on wanting cash flow sooner rather than later, which might not be a concern for you.

Thanks Andrew, this is very helpful and I may be calling them soon. The experimental license is attractive for me because I think I need to work on my recipe before my financing!

Lynn

Has anyone started off with an experimental license from the TTB? I have not spoken with anyone who has actually done it this way, but several people in the industry (lawyers, new distillers) have recommended I take this path, including the TTB representative I spoke with last week. Is there any benefit, or am I just creating a headache for myself down the road?

Lynn

Dear Lynn,

You should apply for an Alcohol Fuel Producer permit, an AFP, and anything that you make on an experimental basis should be eventually destroyed. This keeps any distilling activity legal, while you are learning the craft and perfecting your "recipe". As long as does not leave the premises, it need not be denatured. You will surrender your AFP when you are awarded your DSP.

All the best,

Rusty