Frozen fruit

Guest Bobcat Hill

Guest Bobcat Hill

I know it's not ideal, but what are the thoughts on freezing fresh fruit at the peak of ripeness and then pulling it out of the freezer when it's convenient to process? These fruits would be used for brandies and moonshines.

Think about freezer charges and the cost and time of getting it to the freezer and back.

It's not trivial to get large blobs of fruit thawed without damage / oxidation.

I press apples and pears and send the _juice_ to the freezer, rather than sending the fruit.

Hello there,

I am an ingredient supplier and can actually help you with any type of frozen fruit or even juice concentrates or puree's. I can get all of these at any time through the year.. I would love to discuss with you what you are exactly thinking you need, beable to make suggestions and help out in any way I can. Please contact me at dena@foodguys.com or 503-404-0250.

• 3 months later...

Sometimes it is the only choice. We used wild-gathered persimmons for an eau de vie based on a persimmon melomel. Unfortunately, American wild persimmons must be gathered ripe, and to get sufficient quantity, must be accumulated over time. Since they don't store well, best is to produce the puree and freeze it.