Boots

For years in the alcohol industry I have wondered if such a product exists.......but didn't want to look like a total ass by asking he question. Does anyone know if there exists boots that hold up to a work environment but don't cause you to get jungle rot funky feet? Waterproof, holds up to the random drips or splashes of caustic/acid on the floor......but actually lets the foot funk breathe. For years I tried the hiking boot route.....and just spent too much money. Now I have advanced to the "disposible Wal-mart" shoe...... I can't be the only person with this thought on thier mind, as they put there boots in the boiler room to dry overnight.

As I re-read this before posting....I sound like the begining of a cheesy commercial. But I am still posting this for the sake of my big toes...

For years in the alcohol industry I have wondered if such a product exists.......but didn't want to look like a total ass by asking he question. Does anyone know if there exists boots that hold up to a work environment but don't cause you to get jungle rot funky feet? Waterproof, holds up to the random drips or splashes of caustic/acid on the floor......but actually lets the foot funk breathe. For years I tried the hiking boot route.....and just spent too much money. Now I have advanced to the "disposible Wal-mart" shoe...... I can't be the only person with this thought on thier mind, as they put there boots in the boiler room to dry overnight.

As I re-read this before posting....I sound like the begining of a cheesy commercial. But I am still posting this for the sake of my big toes...

Answer:

Its not your boots, its your socks.

I've had to wear different types of boots for different jobs over the years. In construction and maintenance environments, food production environments, and out in the weather. I've learned the hard way that its not worth investing in footwear if you don't invest in decent socks.

Cotton is great because its affordable. But if you're wearing cotton socks in a heavy pair of steel toes you're in for a rough time. You're gonna develop some real tough spots on your feet and they're going to be quite uncomfortable. Make the investment for wool socks. Although expensive they last longer if you take care of them and theres more out there than you think.

You can get heavier pairs for cold months and can find lighter ones for the warm months. Either way, wool socks will help your feet breath. The wool helps wick the sweat away from your feet. Your boots are still going to stink a bit, so use some deodorizer here and there. But wool socks will make you a happier person.

And another point. If you buy a pair of decent work boots, take care of them. Seal them once in a while with silicone or mink oil. If you pay attention to them and clean them when you have to they will last a very long time. I had a pair of Wolverines last me over 2 years of daily use.

-Bob