Gin: Resting/Mixing Before Bottling

tl5612

Hello

I have read a lot of stuff from different gin producers, but most tend to agree that post production the gin needs a period of time for the flavour compounds/essential oils to bind together - before bottling.

Around 4/5 weeks of resting has been suggested as an optimum by some.

Others stir/mix the gin to speed up this process. For example, at Distillery 209 they mix their gin thoroughly, so it can be diluted and bottled after just 3 days.

Firstly, does anyone know if they would literally do this manually?

Secondly, any other thoughts on the process?

Merci

Gin we have made does clearly need a rest, and it tends to change both in tank and in bottle. In particular, the bitter, hot, or more earthy notes all tend to mellow with resting. I don't think significant mixing before bottling will do much for the resting, unless in the process they are oxygenating.

We usually bottle within a few days to a week after distilling. Our still-strength gin is mixed very well with dilution water just prior to bottling. We have noticed no real discernable flavor difference in aging/resting after that.

We usually bottle within a few days to a week after distilling. Our still-strength gin is mixed very well with dilution water just prior to bottling. We have noticed no real discernable flavor difference in aging/resting after that.

Marc, I don't know your botanical bill, but we have noticed the effect is associated with the root botanicals more than the leaf, seed, or fruit.

• 4 months later...

My experience is that rest is very important to a gin or genever. In general about 70% of the taste potential can be found after a 3 days resting period. To fully develop at least 5 weeks are needed. Shaking and mixing will not improve the ageing process.

Edwin.