Fire at Tuthilltown Spirits, NY

Before the rumor mill churns out its own version of the events this week at Tuthilltown, here's our official report. Monday morning the day at Tuthilltown started with a bang. An explosion in our distilling room from an unexpected vapor release ignited a fire which destroyed the two cupolas atop the distillery roof. No one was injured and the fire was brought under control quickly by our local volunteer fire company. We're evaluating the extent of the damage. Preliminary reports are there is no structural damage and the stills appear to be in intact, though we won't know the full effect till we take them apart and inspect the internal workings. The fire was confined to the distilling room.

The outpouring of support and encouragement from the craft distilling industry and friends of the distillery has been a great boost as we recover from the shock of watching flames pouring out the cupolas. Thank you all.

All our product is stored in a separate building, as are our shop/tasting room and our bottling line, so the whiskey continues to fill bottles and glasses.

A topic to be taken up at the next meeting of the NY CRAFT DISTILLERS GUILD will certainly be operational safety standards for craft distillers, how they should be developed, accepted and implemented among us all. We don't want anyone else suffering a similar blow.

R

Ralph, we are so happy to hear the event was more visual than destructive. Just to put it out there, for the newer forum members especially, I hope all understand that an event can happen no matter how much written protocal is in place. That it happened at Tuthilltown shows us we all can be more diligent. If you know the ownership of Tuthilltown you will not assume this is another case of a relaxed or over aggressive process situation or "rolling the dice" with safety. Anyone who has a passion for climbing mountains on a vertical plane, such as Ralph does, is certainly familiar with the principal of "risk/reward". Good luck!

Thank you Bob for your kind words. And you're right. My background is all about controlling and mitigating risk. And the incident here at Tuthilltown shows no one is immune from accidents. No written protocols can totally make up for human failure. Safety protocols will be an important topic of discussion at the upcoming NEW YORK CRAFT DISTILLERS GUILD meeting. It is important for the emerging industry to demonstrate their collective awareness of the potential risks associated with production of volatile substances. If we do not, others will do it for us who may not fully appreciate the problems of implementing industrial level systems into Craft or Farm operations.

Those intending to come to the meeting at Catskill Distilling Company on the 5th are urged to go through their facilities and equipment with a flashlight, pad and critical eye and write down every questionable item which should be a part of any new distillery plan. For instance: are the lights lighting up the inside of your still or column quartz iodine or led? Are your drywall areas double layered? Do you have ethanol detectors? Is there a substantial enough air exchange system to evacuate the air in a room filled with vapor without the vapor coming in contact with an ignition source (like a fan motor which is not explosion proof?) Do you have two or more totally independent entrances and egresses from every space? Has your Fire Department done a practice run at your site? These are only a few. Some of the items I've mentioned we had considered and installed, some not. That is all being addressed now, but we are concerned about the other distilleries and their full understanding of the potential for danger around their facilities; danger to the staff and to the public which may be touring your facility.

We were fortunate. We had good systems, double dry wall layer, fireproof insulation, tile floor, substantial enough cupolas to vent heat and flames, and a fire department already familiar with our site. No visitors on site and no staff in the vicinity of the immediate danger. I guess this is the best reason to point out when someone asks why a distillery should not be in a home.

At a staff meeting today we outlined duties for all which will result in a complete Operations Manual for a small distillery. We want to make the finished document available to all New York distillers and for the contents to be broad enough to cover the issues raised by distillers, municipal officials, fire officials, building inspectors, New York State and the Fed. DISCUS has a guide to distillery operations. So does the State of Washington. We are also reviewing UK documents and manuals. There are too many new operators coming on line these days who are printing "Master Distiller" on their cards before they fully comprehend the massive responsibility they shoulder when they make alcohol that extends far beyond the typical problems associated with consumption of alcohol. Producing alcohol is dangerous work, make no mistake about it.

R

Ralph, can you provide more information or a link to the Washington State guide you write about above? I've screened the liquor board's website and can't find anything. Thanks

Has there been any thought given to the possibility that cupolas may actually be aggravating the potential for facility fires and explosions? The idea behind the cupolas is to remove the excess heat from the facilities. What is left are actually two things

1) cooler air which is physically heavier than warm air, and

2) ethanol vapor, which is heavier than air.

I was thinking about this after going over our insulation codes with our code enforcement officer and architect. They were talking about how critical the codes are now to make sure our building is properly insulated so as to avoid heat loss, while at the same time we are building in cupolas to release the heat.

Aside from the relative absurdity of that, it makes me wonder if indoor facilities that are generally air tight, with a Cupola on top, may actually create a column of rising ethanol that eventually builds in concentration from the bottom up, as it and cooler air push the hotter and lighter "clean air" out through the top..

It has been "industrial" practice in areas where explosion-proof equipment is required, that roofs, etc. allow the "blast" to go UP.

I have seen videos of "garage distillers" that would make hair stand on end if I was a neighbor- kinda like the guy that blows himself making fireworks in an outbuilding and smoking.

I sold a chiller system near a company substation that was placed a good 50 yards away from a chemical storage area and guess what- fumes got closeby to where an electrician made a spark and the explosion that ensued took out the substation and put the company out of business.

One reason why perfumes are so expensive, the equipment looks like it's going to an Army arsenal.

Keep pushing to make your industry safer!

Roger I think you have a point about the apparent purpose of the cupola roof top, certainly we use it to vent heat all summer long. I think it will be likely that the solution will be an explosion proof exhaust fan in a cupola that is activated by a sensor or some other device. Not unlike any larger plant, it is an opportunity to place sensors at various critical places that would shut down systems in a safe way as the various sensors kick in. I'm sure we have other Engineers peeking in on this forum who could take up the question: How would you keep a small craft distillery safer?" Most us know NOTHING is "safe", anything can fail. The goal is enabling a WARNING before they fail or are producing signs of failure. In the Navy we referred to it as "preventive maintenance", with regular schedule of inspections for equipment or systems. The mechanical safety of the equipment and plumbing, and maintaining vapor inaccessibility to heat sources is an engineering and logistical challenge, but we will not be reinventing the wheel either. The systems exist. My suggestion is that we make an effort to compile some minimum safety standards industry wide (borrowed from the big brothers, but scaled to what we can all afford and are capable of doing).

The New York Governor Andrew Cuomo recently commented his desire to arrange a "summit" for micro brewers, Farm wineries and yogurt makers; the "Farm producers". He forgot to mention the 58 distilleries in New York, that number includes the 22 Farm Distilleries which have come on line in the last three years. But it appears we have gotten the Governor's attention. The following article was in today's Albany paper:

http://www.timesunio...<br />4063.php

So it looks like we'll get a seat at the table. One important topic will be small distillery safety, how to compile a book of standard operating procedures, who should compile the report, would it be a statutory requirement, enforceable, or elective? Will the insurance companies drive the move for safety standards or will OSHA or Ag and Markets? Or, the most desirable, the industry itself? This will also be an important topic at the upcoming meeting of the NEW YORK CRAFT DISTILLERS GUILD.

By the way, everyone at TUTHILLTOWN is safe and over the shock of our incident. Our cupolas saved the building by giving the ignited ethanol a place to go. Once the alcohol burned up the flames retreated quickly and the fire department volunteers quickly extinguished the remaining blazes. A double layer of sheet rock on the distillery room walls kept the fire from damaging the roof arch beams and the outer skin of the roof. We're undergoing our own internal review of all systems and creation of a strict operations manual, about which we will include considerations by our underwriters and selected official bodies. Our insurance policy with PEERLESS is comprehensive and will enable us to rebuild the safest craft distillery we can. Our policy calls for any reconstruction to be done at "code", so the Building Inspector is quite happy with our plan. Our oaked goods are untouched, our shop/tasting room also unaffected and open for business.

But we are revisiting our "Tours" operation and it will be modified to ensure the complete safety of our guests.

We're converts around here, had our wake up call and we're standing here to testify: BE SAFE FIRST. This is not a "Safe" industry, there is no safe industry. Mitigate risk any way you can. Go in peace. End of sermon for today.

R

Interesting discussion regarding heat. Micro distilled beverage alcohol is the only distillation industry (exception Maker's Mark) I'm aware of that doesn't typically insulate the columns. Massive energy losses and column inefficiencies are introduced because of the desire to show off the copper columns and pots.

So take away:

• There would be no need to go through extraordinary effort to vent heat if one bought (or retrofitted) distillation equipment with insulation.
  • Energy consumption would probably be reduced 20-40% and column efficiencies increased accordingly if insulation was employed.

Ralph and others,

One last suggested reading and the industry practice for what we're talking about here, is to perform a Hazard and Operability Study (or HAZOP). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_and_operability_study

The methods and rigors employed do a great job and when done properly the results are recognized by the regulatory agencies (such as OSHA) and insurance companies. I've been through three separate HAZOPs for our differing size refineries and each time valuable information was gleaned from the process. Basically, this helps with not having to reinvent the wheel.

Best,

John

MG Thermal, thanks for your spot on comments. Speaking for my partner Brian Lee and me, we are now both made evangelistic about safety in small distilleries. And with our own experience fresh in our minds our hair stands on end as we are realizing the industry is growing far more quickly than the knowledge and experience of the operators with regard to safe operations, or even the aggressive pursuit of safer small plants either by the operators or by the regulators who are not familiar with craft operations and the limits upon their resources. It simply may not be ignored by the newcomers, those in it for a few years, and the regulators. We all have to ask ourselves if we really believe we're doing all we can to ensure the safety of workers, visitors and our neighbors. And the measures which emerge from our own self examination must be possible, that is, given the small, craft type of operations we all manage. Methods must be affordable and enforcement must be possible.

It still surprises me, I don't know why it should by now, at my partner's ability to "get 'er done". When I arrived yesterday at the distillery a crane was sitting in our parking lot. Couple hours later I saw it leave through my office window. I went to see what had been accomplished and found all three stills, columns and condensers and all associated stainless parts laid out in the parking lot. This morning I arrive and it's all moved into our newly built extension, the crews upstairs are ripping up floor. The crew downstairs up on scaffolds installing insulation in the roof. Brian's plan is a "three hour rated wall creating a 'Vapor Zone' where the stills will go and all vapor will be contained and exhausted through roof cupolas equipped with air exchange fireproof system. He discovered some damage to a column and continues to examine the rest of the equipment. Our entire staff working to keep us on an even keel while we fully assess damage and undertake the reconstruction.

One thing I wanted to mention. Someone had written to me that it was unlikely the alcohol rose into the cupolas since alcohol vapor is heavier than air and would sink. The comment did not take into account the heat of the ethanol laden vapor that rushes out of a still through a breach very hot and immediately rises to the roof. We agree with the Fire Marshall, the cupolas saved the building.

R

Couple of things to add....

OSHA 2015 Hazardous Materials is a good course on handling flammable and explosive materials. It's available around the country at OSHA training facilities. Topics include static build up and grounding as well as containment.

You can rent otherwise cost prohibitive thermal imaging cameras that can help detect leaks or weaknesses in your stills before they become a serious problem. There are companies that will mail them to you for a day or two , and you mail them back. We do it at least once a year.

MG Thermal, thanks for your spot on comments. Speaking for my partner Brian Lee and me, we are now both made evangelistic about safety in small distilleries. And with our own experience fresh in our minds our hair stands on end as we are realizing the industry is growing far more quickly than the knowledge and experience of the operators with regard to safe operations, or even the aggressive pursuit of safer small plants either by the operators or by the regulators who are not familiar with craft operations and the limits upon their resources. It simply may not be ignored by the newcomers, those in it for a few years, and the regulators. We all have to ask ourselves if we really believe we're doing all we can to ensure the safety of workers, visitors and our neighbors. And the measures which emerge from our own self examination must be possible, that is, given the small, craft type of operations we all manage. Methods must be affordable and enforcement must be possible.

Your welcome.

BTW, are the cupolas power vented?

As far as "small", it's all just a scale of the "boom" and need the same precaution as the "big" guys.

The cost for the prevention may be higher in percentage for the craft distiller, it's the way it always seems to work out on industrial projects as well for projects tied to hazardous construction.

Mike

We're fortunate, our insurance coverage is substantial. Others take note: check your policies and speak with a Certified Public Adjuster (a good adjuster working for your interests is worth every penny).

Our cupolas were mechanically opened and closed. But all further mechanical or power units will be "explosion proof" devices. This is a lot to ask of a startup Farm or Craft distillery, it is a big expense to install fire and explosion proof devices and lighting. But there are other ways to design systems to exchange air and ventilate a space which would keep the vapor isolated from the devices, some creative design required, but it's possible. A warning, our still manufacturer sent us lights to mount on the inspection portholes on our column which were quartz iodine, very hot. Brian put them aside, replacing them with very low temperature light sources; but we are confused why the hottest bulbs possible were sent by the manufacturer in the first place. Please everyone take these into consideration when you plan your still configuration.

Most importantly, we are confirmed in the value of our efforts to maintain a good relationship with local officials, fire department and the State Liquor Authority, all of whom have been supportive. At a meeting last Friday of the NEW YORK CRAFT DISTILLERS GUILD at CATSKILL DISTILLING COMPANY, just a stone's throw from the site of the 1969 WOODSTOCK FESTIVAL by the way, everyone was agreed that each should do a complete safety survey and begin work on a "Best Practices" document for craft distilleries in general and each site in particular. It was agreed that this would be a final work which would be adopted individually by independent operators but not as a formal document presented as a qualified "guidelines", which would unfortunately drag members of the informally organized Guild into a liability loop we are unprepared for at this time. Safety was a large part of the discussions. And all were agreed that it is probable that most craft distilleries are operating at about 3 or 4 on a scale of 10 (10 being the safest possible operation), and some were convinced that number was probably more accurately around 2 on a scale of 10. Not as a result of carelessness, but more because of a "we do the best we can with what we have at our disposal" mentality that is part of the entrepreneurial gestalt. And it ain't cheap as we all know. Equipment, electrical, gas, building; all these are covered already in regulations already governing building code and electrical installations and inspections. It's the day to day operation that is the low or no cost part of your distillery which you can effect right away. We strongly suggest writing down your safety protocols, logging anything out of the ordinary and constant vigilance.

Upon the suggestion I received from one Town Official who faced a storm of protests during the last Town Board meeting from nearby residents, we are taking on the task of educating our local elected officials, fire department and building inspector on the laws which permit and regulate our operation, the inspections we undergo and the renovation plans. This effort is more in ensuring that any official who must field questions as part of their responsibilities are directed to the correct statutes and law which govern our operation and demonstrate our compliance, not only with NYS Alcohol Beverage Control Law but with fire and building codes as well.

Nicole Austin from KINGS COUNTY DISTILLING, who has substantial experience in the installation of co-generation plants, therefore the most experienced in safety systems and overview, will be exploring some of the training opportunities available to distillers from qualified organizations.

I'm VERY surprised that any light source was supplied with equipment that would be a possible source of heat.

I can see some regulation coming down on the still manufacturers as well.

Let's face it, many local inspectors have fleeting knowledge of what the universe is able to make boom on a bad day, some give the benefit of the doubt, others red flag everything they see.

I have sold chillers to fuel offloading engineers, and the cost of EVERYTHING is extreme (any usually requires 100% backup).

Think of something breaking a bulb on equipment, causing a spark, and away you go- it's not the static environment but the dynamic environment that also causes most of the concern.

On the subject of cogen, there are smaller absorption chillers (and more on the drawing board for low temp application) that first cost very expensive, but if the heat is free and you can get a write off from the local authorities, may be worth it for a little larger craft distillery. The chiller would have to be enclosed in a machine room (extra cost there).

Mike

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be re-posting this but I have really come away with the feeling and hopefully just my own neurosis that safety and Explosion Proof equipment and applications are not well understood by small distillers...searching the forum today there is not much discussion on the potential impact that "our industry" will face if we don't pay more attention to safety of our operations as a group of distillers....perhaps we should have a "competition" such as it is to be known to operate safely and exchange much more information on what are really well understood concepts (at least from my point of view as a relativistic insular position)....there is a copious amount of information out there and we all (at least USA operators) are under the NEC codes and folks across the pond under ATEX codes...this is true without regard to whatever your local authority(s) may bring to bear....that annoying third plug on our extension cords was put there for a reason.

When it comes to safety, ask yourself this question: "Was there anything that we could have reasonably done to make our operation safer?"....if you can answer "No" truthfully, then you may have a safe operation.

Brian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you still wish to entertain that you have "no real risk" in your facility, please check to see if ALL electrical devices within the vapor zone (vapor zone? yes, compadre, see references below) of your still are Explosion Proof (EP).

In Europe, if memory serves, distilleries need to report any spill over two (2) liters to "FEDERAL" authorities. I am sure that no ADI member has ever spilled ANY volumes in that range.

I am also SURE that no ADI member has EVER been without cold condenser water being CONTINUOUSLY available to condense your alcohol laden vapor, and the alarm system for condenser water temperature is working and in good order and EP, right?!?!. ("Hey, Herb, didn't you turn on the garden hose?")

Do you treat your distillation zone the same way you treat your fermentation zone?

Pretty lights (EP?) attached to your columns to show off to your tour groups your gorgeous chunk o'copper!!! Florescent lights in the ceiling, are all EP. The EP vacuum your single person overnight crew uses to keep your grain mill clean? Your "Big Ass" ceiling fan is EP, right? All the motor contactors in your NEMA4 rated, IP65 rated enclosures are EP rated, too? Flashlights?, (yes Virginia, there are EP rated flashlights and they aren't that dear either, who knew??)

The explosion proof "CONFINED SPACE" ventilator you use to clean your big new fermentor. Your sump pump, especially in your Calif. compliant facility, is EP?? Under what conditions is alcohol vapor heavier than air or lighter? How big is the vapor zone around that 20,000G truck that drops your GNS? What is a freakin' vapor zone?

What about direct firing of your Charente (or was it Portugese) still? Inside your facility? While entertaining guests or "students"?

I am currently rebuilding Tuthilltown with a 5 hour "party wall" to the adjoining structure. The other walls are "only" two hour walls and the distillation room (zone) will contain NO electrical devices that are not at least rated NEC Class 1, Div 2. Ventilation (EP driven roof mounted fans) will be in excess of five (5) exchanges per hour.

No lights less than NEC Class 1, Div 2. No electrical outlets what so ever. No electric pumps or mixer motors less than NEC Class 1, Div. 2.

I have found that shopping around for EP (Explosion Proof) equipment is worth while since the costs vary dramatically from vendor to vendor and ratings conformance from military to mining to petroleum refining to merely industrial.....i.e. http://www.mcmaster....b<u> Their</u> part number for a Class 1, Div. 1 light fixture is 1576K13 and is listed at just under $300USD and you can stuff it with a conventional LED lamp to show that you are "green".

Below are some interesting reference sites, but you should have at least one glass of your favorite distillate in front of you before you even think of reading them!!!

OSHA Overview: http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/hazloc.html

Hazardous (Classified) Locations, NEC code is available on: http://www.killark.com/......then go to bottom of page and download the the NEC 2011 code for Sections 500-516. Killark is a manufacturer that seems to specialize in EP equipment and interfaces.

You can work with vendors to help you yield better prices on EP equipment and substitute parts that comply with your location authority whether .AU or .EU. You can't simply strap on a EP enclosure on your existing 56C frame motor and call it macaroni. EP ratings are very specific and are more like plumbing liquid than wiring an outlet. The motor frames must meet specific mechanical and electrical standards. Heaters used in vapor zones have temperature profiles to meet. Conduit boxes look like something you would expect to see in a submarine, and you would.

Factory Mutual has a great proactive site on Loss Prevention and you can register there to download their guideline(s) for Hazardous Locations. I am off to their seminar next week (10 Dec, up in Mass.).....see also, http://www.fmglobal....spx?id=03020400. FM is sort of like UL. They have in-house experts, test and validate equipment and conduct courses.

The Europeans are ahead of the USA in this area. Of particular interest is: http://ec.europa.eu/...index_en.htm. Again a huge treasure on standards and advice on : ATmospheres EXplosive (ATEX)

DISCUS has an internal document on Hazardous Locations that is very good, but my current understanding is that this document is "internal" to full members.....having said that, the posted references in these notes are definitely cautionary enough to keep you awake for the next few nights....

Scotch Whisky Research Institute: The Management of Flammable and Explosive Atmosphere in the Scotch Whisky Industry is a great industry reference.

Once you have completed your review of your risk profile for alcohol vapor, tarry not, but move right along to NEC: Class II, Group G, Div. 1 and 2.

In reality, you may be much more likely to have an event in Class II related to grain handling than alcohol vapor....if you live in the Midwest (USA) where you can routinely run across 500,000 BU silos you will appreciate their risk profiles. Dust explosions can have a particularly interesting double whammy in that a small initial explosion will disperse a much larger dust envelope and you can end up with two nearly simultaneous explosions!!!

And if you play with wood, in your spare time, there is always NEC Class III.....

It is my opinion, from touring many facilities of both "big alcohol" and small, that the risk of alcohol vapor burning and dust related flash fire from grain milling and handling is not well appreciated.

Brian,

I couldn’t agree with you more. I believe the most important thing is the safety of my customers and myself. I recently did a walkthrough of my facility with my insurance underwriter and my agent, and I can tell you that both of them were fully aware of the recent events in our industry. Part of the underwriting report came back with explosion proof lamps etc. When pricing these lamps and everything else you have listed above it is almost impossible for a start up to satisfy all of these issues.

That being said, I have 26 years experience working in an industry that requires entering and working in enclosed spaces where explosive gasses and dead air can be common. We have always been trained to test and monitor the atmosphere along with providing proper ventilation. Going with these thoughts, I searched for ethanol monitoring sensors and hand held testing devices. My theory is that if the still is always manned while running and the atmosphere is always monitored an alarm would be triggered that would either notify the distiller to shut down the still or be automatically programmed to shut down the still or boiler until the source of the ethanol could be found. This was well received by my insurance underwriter. They agreed that it would make sense to stop the problem before it becomes an explosive level rather than trying to prevent the explosion.

I spoke to Alan Peterson Jr. at Sensor Electronics. He said he could easily outfit a facility of my size with 1-2 sensors and monitoring alarms for a reasonable cost compared to the explosive proof everything route. We all know we can make everything explosion proof and spend tens of thousands of dollars and still have some jackass come in and flick their Bic in their pocket and ultimately it would still be our fault. Here is his website: www.sensorelectronic.com.

Hope this helps.

John

Brian, glad to hear Tuthilltown is rebuilding with such a great focus on safety. Notably absent from your post is any mention of a sprinkler system- hopefully this hasn't been overlooked. When we expanded our distillery a few years back I had numerous added expenses due to the fact that my municipality had the knowledge and experience to know the requirements (understand the NEC and IFC). At that time I had many distillers telling me I was nuts for doing all these requirements and that my plan reviewer/inspectors didn't know what they were talking about, which in of itself is quite laughable. Doing a distillery right is not a cheap proposition and I suspect 80% or more may not be anywhere near meeting all the standards due to the added expense.

The DISCUS document you refer to is available to all DISCUS members including craft distillery members.

Guy