Reporting - heads?

ny_spirits

I have been filing ttb reports for a while now, but still have not settled on the best way to deal with our heads. For the time being, we are storing them in barrels and reporting it on our storage account report, as we can't figure out how to dispose of them legally. How are others disposing of heads and reporting it?

• 3 months later...
I have been filing ttb reports for a while now, but still have not settled on the best way to deal with our heads. For the time being, we are storing them in barrels and reporting it on our storage account report, as we can't figure out how to dispose of them legally. How are others disposing of heads and reporting it?

I had the same question, have you since figured out how to report your heads?

What about the other side of the equation, tails?

My operation is basically GNS+botanicals, distilled, so a little different from many folks. For me tails stay in the processing account, so I report them on the quarterly inventory as "unfinished spirits". And I keep track on my individual production logs (I have a report for every distillation I do) the volume and proof of tails in and out into each run, but I don't track every milliliter like I might do for taxable spirits.

Maybe a TTB inspector will arrive some day and tell me I can't do that. But so far...

Still working on it - but I will post here when I figure it all out...

Finally got an answer on the heads and other garbage alcohol - I was told the ttb doesn't care how it is destroyed (methods I mentioned were burning it off, using it in farm tractors, and using it to clean) - just keep records and send a letter on our letterhead with the monthly reports indicating how much was destroyed and the method used.

Regarding tails - I've been moving them to our storage account, but keeping them in processing and reporting them as unfinished spirits sure makes more sense.