Case Labeling

Cutty

I have seen some producers list their DSP number on their corrugated cases. Is this necessary? I do not see any requirements for this under 27 CFR sec. 5.41. If this is not a requirement why do some porducers chose to list their DSP number, what are the pros/cons of this?

Check 27 CFR § 19.488: Here's what needs to be on the box:

Marks on packages filled in processing.

(a) Packages filled in processing. Except as otherwise provided in this part, a proprietor must mark packages of spirits filled in processing with:

(1) The name of the processor, or the processor's trade name;

(2) The distilled spirits plant number of the processor, such as “DSP-KY-708”;

(3) The kind of spirits in accordance with § 19.487 or, in the case of an intermediate product, the product name shown on form TTB F 5110.38, Formula for Distilled Spirits Under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act;

(4) The serial number or lot identification number, in accordance with § 19.490, and the date of filling;

(5) The proof of the spirits; and

(6) The serial number of the formula if it was manufactured under an approved formula.

(B) Real or trade names. The proprietor's real name or any trade name used in accordance with § 19.94 may be placed on any package filled with spirits during processing operations.

Thanks! A TTB agent told me there were no requirements for corrugated packaging outside of 27CFR 5.41, which I believe is a section relating to individual bottle packaging (decorated boxes) not corrugated cases. Thanks again for directing me to the appropriate section!

I have found this to be a very confusing topic. Please, anyone, correct me if I misunderstand it.

When the word "package" is used in the CFR in reference to a DSP, it is in reference to bulk spirits, like totes, barrels, etc.

The section of the CFR referenced above does not apply to cases of bottles. It does apply to barrels and totes, which is why you see this information stamped on barrels and totes.

Right?

Nick

Sorry, Phil, I think you meant 27 CFR § 19.489, but in any case it calls out having your DSP number for sure.

§ 19.489 Marks on cases filled in processing.

(a) Mandatory marks.

Except for cases marked in accordance with § 19.496, a proprietor must mark in accordance with § 19.483 the following information on each case of spirits filled in processing:

(1) Serial number in accordance with § 19.490;

(2) Kind of spirits in accordance with the classes and types of spirits set forth in part 5 of this chapter;

(3) The distilled spirits plant number where bottled;

(4) Date filled;

(5) Proof; and

(6) Liters or proof gallons.

• 3 months later...

(1) Serial number in accordance with § 19.490;

Yes, Thanks Blue. This particular line interests me because in section 19.490 it states that the cases should be labelled with a sequential serial number i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc.

Is that your interpretation too?

Yes, Thanks Blue. This particular line interests me because in section 19.490 it states that the cases should be labelled with a sequential serial number i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc.

Is that your interpretation too?

It is serial, but if you read the specifics, it can include a prefix that indicates content: WL-D-0000104 is the 104th case produced (note the numbers are sequential across all products from the DSP), WL is our product code and D is our bottle size code. A partial case would have an R appended (remainder).

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you guys using any software that will auto fill out the label numbers (serial numbers) in order or do you just write it in by hand. Seems time consuming.

Could you get away with just adding Batch number? and Printing out enough labels to fill out the whole bottling / case run?

Can someone post i picture of their case label?