Washington State Question

tipk99

The Washington State Liquor Control Board sets the rules in WA state, issues licenses, and monitors compliance. You can set started with your research here:

http://www.liq.wa.gov/licensing/apply-liquor-license

This is the general statement for the Craft Distillery License, which requires the use of 51% WA grown ingredients:

Craft Distillery ............................................................ $100

For distillers who are producing 60,000 gallons or less of spirits per calendar year. At least half of the raw materials used in the production must be grown in Washington. Allows a craft distillery to contract distilled spirits for, and sell distilled spirits to, holders of distillery licenses, manufacturer’s licenses and grower’s licenses. May sell spirits of its own production directly to a consumer for off-premises consumption, provided that the sale occurs when the customer is physically present on the licensed premises. A licensee may sell no more than two liters per customer per day.

May also sell spirits of its own production to licensed Washington State Spirits Distributors and spirits retailers. An approved warehouse may be maintained off the distillery premises for the distribution of spirits of its own production. There is a monthly reporting/payment requirement per WAC 314-28-070.

There is also a general Distiller/Rectifier license, which does not require the use of any WA grown ingredients. Here is info on that:

Distiller/Rectifier $2,000

To distill, blend, rectify, and bottle spirituous liquor. May sell spirits of its own production directly to a consumer for off-premises consumption, provided that the sale occurs when the customer is physically present on the licensed premises. Sampling of spirits is not permitted. May also sell spirits of its own production to licensed Washington State Spirits Distributors and spirits retailers. An approved warehouse may be maintained off the distillery premises for the distribution of spirits of its own production. There is a monthly reporting/payment requirement per WAC 314-28-070.

Have fun!

Hi Tom, it is technically a 50% rule, with the WSLCB mandating that at least half of your raw materials be derived from a Washingtonian source.

Thank you for considering doing business in Washington!

Is there any more information about the 50% rule? 50% by weight, volume? Per month, per bottle, per product line? If I had a wash made of 100% Washington grown products and mixed it 50/50 with NGS, then distilled it, would that count? If I distilled a 100% Washington wash, then mixed it with NGS then diluted it, would that count?

I'm just trying to do some planning, and this rule confuses me a bit...

And, Steven, I'm curious why you posted that statistic?

Thanks

Tom