Barley Malt and Hammermills

bourbonstill

But you could try mixing barley flakes (unmalted) with other malted barley providing the enzymes, if you were trying for a different flavor profile from an all malt. Just realize if you have less than 51% malted barley, the product may not be classified as a malt whiskey, if that is the final goal. The (unmalted) barley flakes will be a different component in the mash bill from malted barley (same distinction is made for rye, for example).

But you could try mixing barley flakes with other malted barley providing the enzymes, if you were trying for a different flavor profile from an all malt. Just realize if you have less than 51% malted barley, the product may not be classified as a malt whiskey, if that is the final goal. The (unmalted) barley flakes will be a different component in the mash bill from malted barley (same distinction is made for rye, for example).

Just to be clear here, are you saying that a mash made from say 70% of the barley flakes that "bourbonstill" talks about, plus 30% gristed barley malt would not be classified as a "malt whiskey"?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear here, are you saying that a mash made from say 70% of the barley flakes that "bourbonstill" talks about, plus 30% gristed barley malt would not be classified as a "malt whiskey"?

Possibly correct! He refers to barley malt flakes, but I the barley flakes I am aware of are unmalted, hence my comment. The use of unmalted cereal barley flakes would likely give you a different, perhaps interesting flavor profile. HOWEVER: A malt whiskey has to be 51% or more malted barley, not 51% or more barley and barley malt. Just like a rye whiskey has to be 51% or more rye and not 51% or more rye and rye malt, or vice versa, a malt rye whiskey has to be 51% or more rye malt, not 51% or more rye malt and rye. And there is no American barley whiskey category. It might be a whiskey, but not a "barley whiskey".

Thanks guys.

If I may ask another quick question....

If I am using milled corn, and want to use rye and barley also, should I also

use milled rye and barley, or would rye and barley flour work?

Thanks.

Yes, you can mix different millings or flour in your mash. We actually do this intentionally when using a single mash bill otherwise: our all malt rye whiskey is a mixture of malt rye flour and malt rye grist.

• 2 months later...

If you like the flavor you get specifically from that flaked barley and are hesitant about changing, you can just add an amylase additive to your mash... If you don't have a need for a mill other than that then you'd be just as well off. I'm sure there's better/cheaper places but amazon carries it: http://www.amazon.com/Amylase-enzyme-1-lb/dp/B006O93SYQ