fire code, sprinklers and building classification questions

Probably right at 60 though we could tweak our process to have an output under 60. Any idea if the gross still size and/or gross fermenter size will count? We have sprinklers in our building and I think (not positive) 3 hour fire walls but from the preliminary plans we have, getting a high hazard designation requires more floor drains and other explosion proof measures which sound pretty expensive.

I don't think the tank/still size should count as anything. Unless your fire people are just assuming that if you have that capacity your most likely to use it and thus put yourself out of compliance.

The messed up thing is its all so subject to the local officials that if you get one with a bad attitude or just a very strict understanding of the regs your in for a fight,

My suggestion is to talk to Steve Dalbey at Continuity Risk Management. He wrote a report for us, that we showed to our fire marshall and city officials, which solved almost all of the same problems. His number is 563-299-2888 or srdalbey@gmail.com.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I built this table to show my fire marshall the break down for class 1b 1c and class 2 liquids.  think this is right as per the definitions of each class of liquid.  

Ive read all of the above but am still a little cloudy on the point a distillery goes from F1 to H-whatever occupancy.  Im am desperately trying to be F1 to avoid expensive buildout additions.  Im in New Mexico working with a small town who is working under the 2003 IFC book.  We have a 1200 sq F building with 300 sq f of separated retail space.  Wood frame construction, sharing walls on both sides with other businesses.  I understand we can store 120 gallons of class 1b liquid but judging by the table I posted thats ethanol over around 80%.  Do you guys read this as correct?  Tell me I can be F1 and give me some ammo to show the inspector please!

post.docx