Floor Drains

Roger

I went with ACO Drain. I went with the galvanized to save a few $'s. Very happy with their system.

ACO and Zurn are both super prevalent in distillery/brewery/winery facilities.

I ran aprox. 30' of drain. The ACO drain comes in numbered sections that account for the needed gradient to allow liquid to flow down towards the sewer line. In an effort to save some money on the install, I opted to cut the trench and jackhammer out the concrete. I think we paid 2-3k to have the drain placed and cement poured. If I could go back and do it again... I'd have paid any amount of money to not have to mess with the cutting and removal of concrete. Pretty sure I took a few years off my life with all that concrete dust.

Also, while your looking at installing this sort of thing... consider flooding your space and seeing if you might benefit from also poring a cement overlay that guides water into your floor drain. In my place, water often flows away from the floor drain and towards a cinderblock wall, or worse - towards our tasting room! Really annoying to squeegee it all back into the drain.

We installed an 8 foot drain with 2 feet of 1/4" slope on each side and a 9" catch basen before the P trap. The 8 foot of drain was purchased from Oregon Spirit Distillers at half the retail cost, thanks Brad!

Cost: 8' drain: $75, 9" catch basen: $350, concrete cutting/removal: $500, concrete pore: $150, city approved plumber: $600, permit: $125

Don't forget the catch basen, it's a bugger to install after the fact.

DUST TIP: For those who want to save some $$ and cut out the concrete themselves, take a 2 liter plastic soda bottle and drill a small hole in the cap. Fill up the bottle with water and put on the cap. Now, when cutting or jack hammering the concrete, have someone squirting the bottle onto the front of the saw blade or hammer tip. It will convert all the dust into a slurry and will keep your lungs and work area dust free.

We paid just under $4k to have 24' put in with a 24" x 24" catch basin at the end. This include cutting out and removing the existing concrete, but does not include the additional work to connect it up to the sewer system. "Installation only," as this price does not include the actual cost of the trench and basin either.

• 1 year later...

Holy cow I just priced floor (properly, trench) drains for installation in a planned floor. Zurn is $125 per foot, $10,000 for an 80 foot drain. What the hell? This can't be what everyone is paying, is it? It is 6" wide and included a stainless grate to withstand forklift traffic.

If I was not running a distillery I think I would go into the floor drain business. That or track systems for sliding barn doors!

I paid $37.50 for 20" sections of cast iron trench grating:

http://www.trenchdrainsupply.com/specs/Z886-DGC.pdf

I then made my own wooden molds for the trench and poured concrete with a lip to fit the grates. Significantly more work building molds and also removing them after the pour, but only $22.50 per foot. If your interested in going this route I can give more details on how I built the molds and got the slope, etc. So far they are working just as well as pre-built system the brewery next door went with.

One piece of advise, don't be cheap, get the length you need and make sure the full drain can support the temperature of your discharge. I know of a brewery that had plastic drains pipes tied to their trench drains that melted ! Everything had to be re-done.

Hmm. Is there any way to tell with existing floor drains? The main runs right past where the drains are, so it wouldn't be all that hard to dig them up if needed--it's just something I'd rather not have to do!