Just getting started, got a few questions

joe7dust

I just decided to get into homebrewing today after I read an article about "superjuice" and SuperYeast. I stumbled on this http://homebrewcompany.com/homebrew/mercha...tegory_Code=382

From what it sounds like I will end up with a substance similar to an unflavored MD 20/20 or slightly yeast flavored. I plan on mixing with gingerale/Hawaiian punch.

1: During the 8-day fermentation, should the pail be sealed shut, cracked open or fully open?

2: The wording is a bit unclear but it appears to state that it is ok to simply use Super Kleer KC and mix with soda/punch, and that the charcoal/filtration steps are mainly for those who plan on distilling into liquor and need a pure spirit base. Is that right?

3: Super Kleer KC mix says it treats 5-6 gallons but the SuperYeast batch will be 7.5 gallons will I need to buy 2 packs of Super Kleer KC or perhaps only make a half batch?

4: Will the powder yeast keep well if I only use half at a time?

I plan to mix with Ginger Ale/Hawaii Punch for an alcoholic holiday party punch type drink and store the rest in 1-gallon glass bottles.

5: Will this keep well long-term stored in glass? And should it be refrigerated if yes?

This forum is for professional distillers and distilleries, those who are in the process of opening a distillery, or pursuing information on entering the field of professional distilling.

You might want to join some of the plethora of homebrewing forums. Those would be more appropriate for this type of question. Although if you are getting into homebrewing I suggest making real beer, not crap like this. This is sooo against the whole purpose of this forum.

I just decided to get into homebrewing today after I read an article about "superjuice" and SuperYeast. I stumbled on this http://homebrewcompany.com/homebrew/mercha...tegory_Code=382

From what it sounds like I will end up with a substance similar to an unflavored MD 20/20 or slightly yeast flavored. I plan on mixing with gingerale/Hawaiian punch.

1: During the 8-day fermentation, should the pail be sealed shut, cracked open or fully open?

2: The wording is a bit unclear but it appears to state that it is ok to simply use Super Kleer KC and mix with soda/punch, and that the charcoal/filtration steps are mainly for those who plan on distilling into liquor and need a pure spirit base. Is that right?

3: Super Kleer KC mix says it treats 5-6 gallons but the SuperYeast batch will be 7.5 gallons will I need to buy 2 packs of Super Kleer KC or perhaps only make a half batch?

I plan to mix with Ginger Ale/Hawaii Punch for an alcoholic holiday party punch type drink and store the rest in 1-gallon glass bottles.

5: Will this keep well long-term stored in glass? And should it be refrigerated if yes?

I agree with you 100%. This was never supposed to be a do it your self at home breaking the law forum. It is for real distillers and their employees who need to find something they need or help fixing a problem they encountered. This forum should be limited to people who should have done their basic homework about what they are getting into and need a little guidance. If you want to just get in and have some stimulating conversations then join a book of the month club. Join the ADI, pay the money up front then you should have some input. To help each other not just to stir the pot. I am sure the maintainers of this page could with the stroke of a few keys, make this happen. Coop

My response to this is not based to extend this thread, but to be able to sleep at night. Don't do this! On so many levels it is wrong. Besides the legality and liability, consider the well being of your party guests and yourself. I suggest the alcohol you will produce is not beverage ready! That is what we do. Catagorically, what you will do is not a beer, wine or spirit. The process is not complete. Visit a local distillery / brewery (buy some product)and ask questions about why you should not do what you intend to do.

Your guests are trusting you to offer up a safe and delicious concoction. Again, pick up a bottle of a reputable craft distilled product, go on-line and visit some distilleries websites, and speak with confidence about what you are serving. Also, please leave the bottle out, label visiable.

As Jonathan recommends, learn brewing and wine making techniques, give some working hours to a local producer, grow into distilling. We all did. We will be here when the time is right and you are ready.

Cheers,

Bob

In attempting an endeavor such as you have outlined, there are two main considerations that need to be addressed:

1) will you be using the traditional, full-sugar Hawaiian Punch or sugar-free, and

2) what music will you be playing at this holiday party you plan?

hats off to ckrogstad for the funniest post I've read :lol:

anyhoo, joe, you should go to www.milehidistilling.com

They have lots of info for you, and you can probably contact them directly to answer your questions, since they sell the product in question. As you see, this is not the place for you. aloha

hats off to ckrogstad for the funniest post I've read :lol:

anyhoo, joe, you should go to www.milehidistilling.com

They have lots of info for you, and you can probably contact them directly to answer your questions, since they sell the product in question. As you see, this is not the place for you. aloha

Joe,

I think you have been chastized enough,lol, Just a quick link here for you to get good answers for brewing questions and the like. http://homedistiller.org , just be ready to read for weeks...there is a lot of information in the site and someone has done a lot of homework, that said I wouldn't believe everything I read. some beer supply stores have wine and beer making classes for short money. they also are usually home brewers and can guide you some. I think the sugar wash you mentioned may have a place in the homebrew field, but as you can see, it is one thing that is widely agreed upon here. Not that it is useless though. most important, have fun and be safe.

In great spirits,

Jester