ADI Forums
LockHouse

What is everyone using for proofing?

Don, I thought it was .15 ABV, or .3 proof. So you should be able to go to 79.7 proof without being out of compliance. Isn't that right?

On one of our audits we were held to .15 proof. THE BAM reads .15% abv, but I think the explanation was that is .15ABv is the number and you have 40% abv stated, then you have a variance of 40 X.0015 or down to 39.94 proof or 79.88 proof. This is how our agent and the District guy applied the law. We all know this is how it works some times.

BTW, I did get into a prolonged discussion about 3 years ago with the TTB all the way up to the top levels. The gauging manual says it is acceptable to use a thermometer accurate to .25 to 1.0 degrees and a hydrometer at .2 proof graduation. The use of a thermometer accurate to only 1.0 degrees will never allow you to be in compliance to .15 or .3 proof for that matter.

DGP

Does anyone have a recommendation for a thermometer in the 40 - 100 degree range with a 1/4 degree subdivision as described in Section 30.22 of the gauging manual?  I have a glass thermometer, but the range is wide, so it makes it difficult for accurate reading.  Any good digital models anyone can recommend?  I have a local lab that I'll use to do the calibration.

Thermopen Reference?

Hi  Everyone

Is anyone using a Anton Parr SNAP, , company claims this device replaces hydrometers.......

Thanks

Snap 40 or the Snap 50 is not on the TTB approved list of alcohol meters that can be used to replace hydrometers.  That being said they are probably more accurate than what a vast majority of people can read a hydrometer.

Only the approved TTB hydrometers 

I may have a snap 50 but remember thats not TTB approved.

The snap 50 is so far better than than the hydrometers. I bet Anton Paar does not get it approved because no one would buy there $35,000 desk top model.

The snap 50 Is the best Darn thing I ever bought. It is a massive time saver. The snap 40 is nice but the extra decimal is so super nice.

Regarding digital thermometers, we use an Omega HH376 for final proofing.  It's a little on the pricey side, but a nice unit, although the logging is an overkill feature.  We also a less expensive Oakton Temp 6 for day-to-day gauging (it's a little bit more rugged, but slightly lower accuracy).  However, both have gross offset calibration, and we have correction tables that have the correction factors for each tenth. Neither meter has a correction greater than 0.1F anywhere in the range, and the corrections are well outside the typical temperatures we deal with, which is nice.