DSP License Cost Comparison

Keith- As you say it's $50 for a Small Maine Brewer license, then an additional $100 for a Small Brewer Distiller license. You need both, so $150 a year total.

We went this way to save money ($950 a year) and for the benefits of being a brewery and brewpub. Our first ale should be in the bottle between Thanksgiving and X-mas.

In Maine we have two levels:

Brewer's DSP $50 (I think)

Regular DSP $1000 plus $100 to be a retailer.

I did not also want to be a brewery (besides a winery and DSP) so we get to pay the $1100.

Keith

$100 in MICHIGAN. Also took legislative action to get it down to $100 from $1,000. Just passed this year. I believe it was even higher 5 years ago. ($10,000?)

$2,000 in Indiana per year for a general distillers license. The most expensive license available. We have lower fees for small breweries, wineries, and wineries that make only brandy.

$100 in Washington. It took legislative action to make that happen.

Not exactly. The $100 license is only if all your distilled products are made from at least 51% Washington State grown products, otherwise it's $2000 for a general distiller's license.

Not exactly. The $100 license is only if all your distilled products are made from at least 51% Washington State grown products, otherwise it's $2000 for a general distiller's license.

Actually, Marc, $100 is exactly what I paid for my class of license, as the source of my raw product is 100% Washingtonian. You're of course correct about the other category, and lateshiftdistiller would find it useful to know that $2000 is still the current fee here in Washington for the license that gives you more freedom from a sourcing perspective. As enacted July 1st this past summer, the less-expensive Craft Distillery category however carries with it the ability to offer samples and sell product on the premises that a distillery has crafted there.

So, in Washington anyway, we get to pick our choice of freedoms and pay the appropriate fee.

I am happy about our new fee structure, and others may do well to look into what was referred to as Washington's Craft Distillery bill and usher in some reform in their own state. It will take some persistent lobbying by industry leaders, and plenty of good will on the part of legislators, to get it done.