Rye Mash Protocol??

Hewnspirits

• 3 weeks later...

Viscoferm by novozymes is the best I have seen. Needs calcium to work right though.

I have a sample of this enzyme I am hoping to try on my next batch. it came with no useage instructions or recommendations regarding amounts per volume of mash, or weight of grain.. any suggestions on how much to start with? I am doing batches of about 150 gallons and 250lb of grain..

For that size batch, I would try 100 ml. Add at no higher than about 120 degrees. Use about a cup of calcium carbonate, and get your ph to around five. If using just rye and malt. Add malt first, then rye at 120. Hold it maybe 15 mins. If adding corn, still do this step first, then take temp up to add your corn.

If using backset, would there be an issue with adding it during the cook, instead of after, in order to make sure it gets pasteurized and does not introduce any bacteria? Or is that really an un-necessary concern as the low PH of the backset should prevent any nasties from growing?

Lowering the PH can also help with starch conversion. This is another reason I am asking about adding the backset before, or during the cook. Adding the backset earlier would help with hitting my target stach conversion PH, but I am concerned it may have other starch conversion side-effects that I am unaware of. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is distillers malt better than brewers malt? I assume it is to do with kilning temperatures but I would appreciate your explanation, thanks.

I believe distiller's malt is 6-row barley. brewers typically use 2-row so they don't need as much irish moss (or whatever they're using) to remove the extra proteins. But yeah, I think his answer was 100% correct just wanted to clarify for ya.

NAB