Grain to water ratio for corn

ADKdistiller

it depends if you are converting with malt or enzymes. with malt alone 2 lbs/gallon will be way to much.

Depends on how much, kind of malt. We add 7 lbs rye malt, 6 lbs barley malt, 2 lbs distiller malt. But we also add some HTE.

Depends on how much, kind of malt. We add 7 lbs rye malt, 6 lbs barley malt, 2 lbs distiller malt. But we also add some HTE.

How much corn for how big a mash? a small amount of enzymes go a long way towards thinning the mash, and keeping it from turning to grits on you.

We are still experimenting but use approximately 20 gallons of water per 50 lbs. corn and ending up with 1.065. We are striving to get better than 1.065.

Glad to see this thread... I'm working with corn and have trouble getting over 1.045 og. I've tried different size grind, adjusted water/corn ratios, used commercial enzymes and not much has change.

In my latest batch I ground it to a fine meal, mixed corn to water at 3:1, cooked to ~180f added alpha-amylase, cooled to ~140f added gluco-amylase and still the OG was a shade under 1.045.

Glad to see this thread... I'm working with corn and have trouble getting over 1.045 og. I've tried different size grind, adjusted water/corn ratios, used commercial enzymes and not much has change.

In my latest batch I ground it to a fine meal, mixed corn to water at 3:1, cooked to ~180f added alpha-amylase, cooled to ~140f added gluco-amylase and still the OG was a shade under 1.045.

Cook hotter. Or grind to flour. Or add acid. You need to break the cell walls.

Cook hotter. Or grind to flour. Or add acid. You need to break the cell walls.

Thanks blue! In the past I've cooked to a boil for 30 minutes and saw a slight improvement. I will try decreasing the ph next time; in your experience do you have a preference on which acid to use? Sulphuric, citric, tartaric?

Add some backset to it.

I think I used too much backset getting test strip reading at the 4.5 lower limit. I left it that way and mashed to 1050; already an improvement. Next batch I'll tighten up the ph and hopefully it will allow the enzymes to perform better.

• 3 weeks later...

29 beer gallons.

29 gallons of water per 56 pouns of corn (1 bushel). less water equals thicker mash, more water, thinner mash. 36 beer gallons is getting thin. if you need it thinner for moving it via pump, scorching, etc. then you want higher beer gallon.

this is how a distiller in kentucky will speak to you in terms of how the big boys determine their recipe.

Your fineness of your grind will help your final sg, your other grains will adjust it a little one way or the other but they are pretty similar in gravity value. your cook time could affect it if not hot enough for long enough, an iodine test will help here. using enzymes the right way or cooking and holding temps to allow all-grain enzymes time to release and convert starches could affect sg.

• 2 months later...

29 beer gallons.

29 gallons of water per 56 pouns of corn (1 bushel). less water equals thicker mash, more water, thinner mash. 36 beer gallons is getting thin. if you need it thinner for moving it via pump, scorching, etc. then you want higher beer gallon.

this is how a distiller in kentucky will speak to you in terms of how the big boys determine their recipe.

What SG do you get with a 29 gallon beer?