ADI Forums
Shindig

Used Dairy Equipment

Is anyone using used dairy equipment? If so what and how is it working for you? Any good sources to find equipment?

it can be done, be sure to choose a tank that has steam jacket and insulation. you'll be on your way towards a pretty decent stripping pot still.

Repurposed dairy equipment or food manufacturing equipment are awesome !!!... Search on ebay .... Good deals to be had ..stay away from Aaron Equipment .... Thanxxx...Brian

I remember selling compressors for Surge Bulk Milk Tanks out of Chicago.

They were a national company (I don't know if they're still around) and had a large volume of business and local (to the farms) service people, so I would check that out in an area where the dairies are.

There are others, but my brain is in lock down.

Good Luck.

A lot of brewery use dairy tanks for their bright tanks. Ipswich Ale is famous for it.

There are many small distilleries that are using open top dairy tanks for their fermentation. Those tanks usually are shorter and longer vs taller which tack up less floor space. Always things to remember while designing a distillery set up.

All stainless steel tanks will work open or closed tops. The issue is during the cleaning process CIP or by hand. Fun Fun

Open Top fermenters are always cheaper but it comes with a cost because of spoilage. Once the wash is almost done fermenting, get it in the still or else you will lose the tank.

Hope this helps Shindig

New York Distilling Company uses some dairy farm equipment as their chill tank to bottle i remember from my class there.

Open Top fermenters are always cheaper but it comes with a cost because of spoilage. Once the wash is almost done fermenting, get it in the still or else you will lose the tank.

Hope this helps Shindig

While I largely agree with this statement, I do know one (very successful, well known) distiller that uses open fermenters, and leaves the windows above them open...lets a really amazing pellicle grow on them and claims it "adds flavor."

And I have used open tops with glycol jackets. If you crash them to 40 or below, they generally stay pretty fresh.

Having said all that, I prefer closed ferms.

All big distillers except a few who capture the co2 use open top. I have used open top. They make a better product because of the way bacteria can get in around the end of fermentation.