Fining agent?

LDC

Curious about opinions on fining agents for your rum wash... I've had great success with Super Kleer, but I'm wondering if any of you are using anything else, or perhaps not even bothering and letting the wash settle on its own. Thoughts, opinions?

We use sparkaloid, it does ok, but would like to try others too. I need to order some Biofine P019 and test it. The brewers say it does a better job than sparkaloid.

Do you have a bulk supplier for super kleer? I'd need 25 pouches to clear my washes, so that's not going to happen.

Regarding settling on it's own, I put a mason jar of our wash, pre fining, into the fridge and it took a week to clear on it's own. Too long for me, I need it fined the next day.

I tried sparkaloid, and while it's much less expensive, but it wasn't nearly as fast as super kleer. That said, today I'm working on finding a bulk supplier as it is not cheap stuff at $2.50 a packet(good for about 5 gallons)!

When I get a bulk supplier squared away I'll post the results...

Jake, no agitators. Running a series of smaller stills with electric heat, so using a fining agent seemed to be the safe bet... with that said, while I couldn't be more pleased with where we're at with the rum recipes, I'm always curious about what others are up to.

bierling, we ferment in 55 gallon stainless, and while I have a bunch, allowing the wash a week or so to settle wouldn't be very efficient right now...

This weekend I'm going to experiment side by side to see how it turns out with no fining agent, but if either of you have experience/insight on the flavor profile, etc, I'd love to hear.

In cider, I find that following sparklloid with silica (keiselsol) gets it to settle a lot more compactly. I think the sparklloid's charge tends to keep it 'fluffy' and the silica cancels it out. That would be somewhat pH dependent.

• 2 weeks later...