Sweetening Rum Post Barrel Aging??

Hewnspirits

Curious how many folks might be adding a sweetening ingredient to their rum...ie...Sugar, Unfermented Molasses, Honey, Maple Syrup, etc etc. If so, when are you adding it? I'm assuming post barrel aging if you're aging and pre bottling when you're not.

Anyone...Bueller? Anyone?

Maybe that's just a sensitive subject? In my ..ahem.. home work, I had used carmelized sugar in the aging vessel for my Sorghum spirits, turned out nice. But as I'm refining my processes, I hope to be able to have the flavors carry through from the fermentation and distillation, to not need to add sugar or coloring. I was able to taste some rum at Solomon Tournour last summer, it was amazing and really held the essence of the sugar cane, without any additives. If only I could buy a bottle...

Check section 7 of the Beverage Alcohol Manual, which reveals that certain ingredients can be added to rum with no label disclosure. I know of some rum producers who do add sugar (eg, in the form of caramel) and I suspect this is a very common practice.

Thanks fellas. And yes Jedd, I too suspect that it's commonly done. Just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on when it was best to add. We're gearing up to try adding some post barrel ageing and pre bottling with a little airing out in between for good measure. I can't imagine that anyone is adding the caramel/sugar before it goes in to the barrel??