Steam Jacketed Stripping Still

CountySeat

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive steam jacketed stripping still? Looking for the range of 250 gallons. I am looking for an option where I can strip on the grain and then (possibly) use a smaller pot still for the spirit run (possibly also steam or possibly element heated). I know Edin (iStill) makes one but wasn't sure if there are others.

Thanks.

Thanks for the comments. I have reached out to several companies and we are looking at a few options. Two issues:

1. If a still is steam jacketed, how essential is also having an agitator? Does it improve the flavor? Is there still a risk of scorching a heavy grain mash (with rye) even with a steam jacketed? Does having an agitator make cuts easier? Does having an agitator speed up the heating process (i.e. you can heat up faster without risking scorching by agitating)?

2. Can a good agitator obviate the need for a steak jacket? In other words, would a large still heated by elements in the mash still work well for on the grain distilling if a good agitator is used? Or will there still be scorching and off flavors?

Thanks!

If you read around on this site, you will find many people with no agitator bemoaning their scorched rye distillations...with any heating system. An agitator is no necessary for you spirit still, but if you're putting mash in your stripping pot, you want it!

Steam is the fastest way to heat, and an agitator speeds that up considerably...less so with liquid only, but it still helps. Using a bain marie electric jacketed still, the agitator really helps the heating process.

I don't recommend elements in the mash. They have pretty short lives in that scenario, and are hard to keep clean. If you think about it, there is a finite amount of energy that the mash has to absorb to come to temperature. The larger the surface area, the smaller the energy density needs to be to achieve that in a reasonable amount of time. For elements (very small surface area) to impart enough energy to the material, they have to be VERY hot...which means burning and scorching. The whole purpose of a bain marie (which is essentially a double boiler) is to spread that heat out to a larger surface area...which is more efficient as well, as heat transfer is affected by total surface area very directly.

This is like LinkedIn for industry reps lol

Yup, but at least I'm not getting "connect" requests from every Tom, Dick, and Jenny to "rep your brand overseas."