DIstillery located next to a church

paulgrey27

Hey I am in the early stages of opening a distillery. I found a great location to purchase, however there is a church right next door. I am located in Florida and will be able to sell at our storefront as long as we are classified as a microdistillery. Is the church going to be an issue? Thank you

The only way you can find out is 1) by checking your local zoning law; and 2) talking to the church. Some zoning laws prohibit any alcohol-related business within xxx feet of a church or school. Even if you're ok on the zoning, the church might still object. So cover both bases.

We had to submit a map to the state of Oregon listing churches and parks that were near our facility, I forget the distance. They were sent a letter by the state saying that we had submitted for a license, they were then given the chance to comment. we were advised by the state to be proactive and contact them on our own, prior to the letter going out. We did that, they had no problem and didn't make a response to the state's letter. I'd say that being proactive with the church might be a good thing.

Roy