floor drains

tipk99

I would say the need to be able to flush the wash from your still and to clean the floor of your distillery (which can get quite messy) tends to dictate the need for floor drains. I don't believe there are any requirements to have one but just consider that could have depending upon the size of your still hundreds of gallons of wash to dispose of after you have distilled the spirits from it. It's much cheaper to pay for the drain initially than to pay to have the wash pumped and trucked away. Also good for preventing your distillery from flooding in the event of an accident.

Yes, I understand the purpose of a floor drain. I was curious about rules that might dictate their use... we are looking at a location that supposedly has a ton of steel and other things embedded in the floor that precludes cutting one into the existiing floor... so I was considering building up the floor to install drainage - but I'm not sure if that "works" or if there would be some reason not to do that. There is plenty of drain access in walls and such... we'd just need to elevate the floor....

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

I think that would work just fine, I do not think there would be any issue creating a raised drain as long as you can tie into an existing waste line but you may want to check with your local municipality to be sure.

I've been in a few distilleries that did not have any flour drains. I don't think it's an issue on the federal level. I've personally looked into it in my area of California and on the local level it wasn't an issue either. Amusingly though, when I told them I wouldn't be dumping anything down the drain and all "waste water" would go to local farms they seemed very disappointed in not being able to assess me an additional waste water fee on my building.

In my town I had to get a waiver for the drain. I had to explain in detail what exactly I am going to be dumping down the drain. As we have an almost new WWTP plant they were fine with my BOD numbers (Stillage typically has a high BOD), solid contents, etc. Older systems might have an issue.......Their biggest concern was that no large amounts of bleach would be dumped and that I brought the PH to neutral. Even dumping heads or tails was okay with them as long as the proof was below 30. I put in a total of about 24 ft of trench drain in the still area, a washdown area and a secondary production area. If you need a recommendation for trench drain give me a PM and I'll tell you who I used as I'm pretty happy with them for price and functionality.

we are looking at a location that supposedly has a ton of steel and other things embedded in the floor that precludes cutting one into the existiing floor.

I know this is not what you are asking; and I know how annoying it can be getting a bunch of responses that don't really answer the questions you are asking; but.... a good wet concrete/diamond saw should be able to cut though a ton of steel, two tons of other things and three tons of actual concrete. Even burning up a few expensive diamond blades should be cheaper than getting a whole new floor poured.

$8 to $10 a square ft. for the flat work. Can't comment on the minimal plumbing.

A new elevation will allow for more aggressive movement toward the drains,,,,,unless the finisher is a hack.

Less time spent manning the squeegee.