Required authorization to obtain and blend GNS in CA for personal use

Steve_CA

My understanding is that it is not legal for the avg joe to possess NGS in California. My immediate goal (distillation later dependent) is to play around w/ infused liquors &/or liqueurs starting w/ NGS. I've skimmed the TTB etc but haven't located a simple "how-to". Anyone here know what permits, licenses, etc I'd need to get a toe in the water in California (blending, no distllation)? Thanks. Steve

If you're just looking to experiment in small quantities, start with shelf vodkas and grain alcohols- they will give you a decent idea of what you'll be working with, while you're in the process of obtaining your permits. (Unless, of course, you were going to make an absinthe or some other high proof spirit or liqueur). Good luck!

Steve,

Bill Owens requested that I respond to you...he's in Amsterdam currently.

It's not illegal to possess tax-paid 190pf in CA(or any other state for that matter AFIK), but it's not legal for sale at the retail level in CA anymore except on federal lands (base exchange at Travis may have it) but you can buy it legally in AZ in personal use quantities and legally bring it to CA. Look for Everclear 190pf - may be available in 1.75L, but usually only 750ml. That should be fine for your experiments, but you should consider using the CA available Everclear 151. It may be special order, but BevMo should have it. The difference for your use between 151 and 190 should be small.

A Basic Permit (commonly called a DSP) is required to deal with larger quantities, and to buy, have delivered, and hold "non-tax-paid" beverage alcohol at any proof. Additionally, in most (probably ALL) US jurisdictions, a state permit (California ABC) is also required.

Permits are also required to purchase or use a distilling apparatus (except those designed for water with capacities of a gallon or less), and the text of that law does not make allowances for any tax-paid status of the contents of the kettle, so even if you buy Everclear 190, you can only infuse it, you cannot re-distill it. Also, distilling 151 or 190 pf can be very dangerous.

You may also be able to partner with an existing DSP holder to prototype and produce your product. In other words, a DSP is not required to create a product or a brand, only to produce it. You may also be able to sell the product that your contracting DSP produces for you. You can even volunteer to help make the stuff, bottle it, etc., so don't get too hung-up on building a distillery - build a brand and get product moving first.

I hope this clears-up any confusion.

Regards,

Will

Thanks Will (and others),

I just returned from Googleland trying to flush out answers from the briar thicket on my own... Whew. Interesting industry.

Tried some Everclear 151 already - results unsatisfactory. Could be my recipe of course.

Partnering w/ an exisiting holder is a great idea. I'll poke around and see if I can come up with a connection or maybe do a little interning.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

Bill Owens requested that I respond to you...he's in Amsterdam currently.

It's not illegal to possess tax-paid 190pf in CA(or any other state for that matter AFIK), but it's not legal for sale at the retail level in CA anymore except on federal lands (base exchange at Travis may have it) but you can buy it legally in AZ in personal use quantities and legally bring it to CA. Look for Everclear 190pf - may be available in 1.75L, but usually only 750ml. That should be fine for your experiments, but you should consider using the CA available Everclear 151. It may be special order, but BevMo should have it. The difference for your use between 151 and 190 should be small.

A Basic Permit (commonly called a DSP) is required to deal with larger quantities, and to buy, have delivered, and hold "non-tax-paid" beverage alcohol at any proof. Additionally, in most (probably ALL) US jurisdictions, a state permit (California ABC) is also required.

Permits are also required to purchase or use a distilling apparatus (except those designed for water with capacities of a gallon or less), and the text of that law does not make allowances for any tax-paid status of the contents of the kettle, so even if you buy Everclear 190, you can only infuse it, you cannot re-distill it. Also, distilling 151 or 190 pf can be very dangerous.

You may also be able to partner with an existing DSP holder to prototype and produce your product. In other words, a DSP is not required to create a product or a brand, only to produce it. You may also be able to sell the product that your contracting DSP produces for you. You can even volunteer to help make the stuff, bottle it, etc., so don't get too hung-up on building a distillery - build a brand and get product moving first.

I hope this clears-up any confusion.

Regards,

Will

It's perfectly legal to have tax-paid alcohol. The pharmaceutical industry uses large amounts of beverage/USP grade alcohol (not denatured). I don't think they even need a special permit, they just have to pay the tax.

Delivery of high proof alcohol should be possible to a business at a business address. It won't come FedEx, or UPS. It'll come on a big truck, from a shipper authorized to ship and transport hazardous materials.

As folks have said, Everclear is about as good as you'll get in the regular store.

True, you can buy a 55 gallon drum of NGS, as long as you pay the tax @ $13.50 per proof gallon. When you get your DSP permit you can then sell your product and collect the tax and get it back. Hopefully. but this means that a $300-500.00 drum of NGS will cost you $1800-2000.00.

It's perfectly legal to have tax-paid alcohol. The pharmaceutical industry uses large amounts of beverage/USP grade alcohol (not denatured). I don't think they even need a special permit, they just have to pay the tax.

Delivery of high proof alcohol should be possible to a business at a business address. It won't come FedEx, or UPS. It'll come on a big truck, from a shipper authorized to ship and transport hazardous materials.

As folks have said, Everclear is about as good as you'll get in the regular store.

I think whether a business needs a permit just to receive/hold it depends on the State. Wisconsin and Illinois both have permits for non-beverage users - flavor extracts, labs, etc. Not fuel. Most WI 'rectifiers' are flavor houses.