Perishability of Low Wines

Anyone have any experience storing Low Wines for distillation at a later date?

I'm curious to know whether Low Wine storage would be considered perishable, in the sense that they may go bad over time considering their lower ABV (produce off flavors, etc.).

Obviously the intended use would come into play, so let's say I wanted to produce a fruit-based low wine, store it for several months and then distill it to produce a brandy later on when I have more time. Would this be feasible? If so, how long could I reasonably store the Low Wine and under what conditions would it be best to store it?

Worked with several Teutonic eaux-de-vie distillers who stored low wines as well as tails for months. Do it all the time myself. No problems. Stainless.

Thanks for your input Denver Distiller!

What's the longest you've stored your low wines? Did you have to keep them at a certain temperature or are they OK with distillery fluctuating temperatures?

The longest is a few months. Pretty much need to turn fruit mash into low wines, and few small distillers have the time for the second distillation during the harvest. So you get to it when you're finished with whatever mashing you need to do. Most small German and Austrian distillers I know run their second distillation through the winter.

Temp fluctuation doesn't seem to matter.

I think you can store the low wines in HDPE drums for several months with no problems as far as I can see. A lot cheaper than stainless and NGS is shipped and stored in HDPE drums so there can't be any associated problems.

Worked with several Teutonic eaux-de-vie distillers who stored low wines as well as tails for months. Do it all the time myself. No problems. Stainless.

I think you can store the low wines in HDPE drums for several months with no problems as far as I can see. A lot cheaper than stainless and NGS is shipped and stored in HDPE drums so there can't be any associated problems.

Thanks for the information everyone. ~ Jeffrey