Another Reason for Truth in Labeling...CBS News

porter

Just saw the CBS Evening News. Their story once again brings up the very real need for truth in the labeling and licensing process. They sort of targeted Templeton Rye, but their story can be seen throughout the industry; licensed distilleries that aren't.

Some time back I brought the issue up that there needed to be seperate licensing for those who don't actually distill their product, 'mixers' in other words. And the need for labels to clearly display 'distilled by' and 'bottled by' as seperate licensed classes of product. Boy did I get shot down by those who don't distill.

Well, folks, thanks to the CBS News maybe we'll stand a chance to get those distinctions at last. Do we have a lobbyist out there who would take this issue to the TTB to change things? Hello?

In the mean time, maybe we can start a thread or site with listings of those labels who don't distill their own product, thereby educating the public with a one-stop site to get ahold of information the mixers and bottlers should be putting on each bottle.

Let's get and keep the purity of the bottle..............

You'll get shot down by those who distill just as vehemently. The last thing I want is more regulation. For pete's sake, isn't there enough already? The market will sort out all, as you've just seen on the evening news. I will say it again as I've said before, you will not meaningfully increase sales volume by putting 'distilled by' on the label. The vast majority of consumers don't even know what that means. Go ask 100 random people what a distillery does, the majority won't know.

Good luck with your public education program.

The vast majority of consumers don't even know what that means. Go ask 100 random people what a distillery does, the majority won't know.

And I think for the vast majority, the rest don't care.

Unless they are supporting X distiller who says they are from their hometown, they really don't care. Templeton burned a lot of bridges in Iowa, but there's 49 other states full of people who probably don't give 2 hoots. People who buy Bacardi probably have no idea where it comes from, or what it's made of. They care that it's half decent and at a half decent price. Sad but it's the truth.

It also depends what you are producing. There's nothing wrong producing absinthes, gins, and liqueurs from NGS, and if we as a community demonize everyone that does it a lot of craft distillers are going to get railroaded. I can understand that it's cheating to make whiskey or vodka from NGS because you are simply adding water and slapping your label on it. However, if you are taking NGS and macerating/redistilling it into a another spirit then that is perfectly fine in my opinion. But I do agree there needs to be more truth in labeling to protect both the distiller/producer and the consumer. We work in an insanely regulated industry but surely one minor fix to the regulations isn't going to ruin all of us if done right.

I agree that the market will sort this all out. Just find your own way and make great products. I watch all kinds of questionable marketing out here, and it bugs me from time to time. But in the end, I just need to make great rum (and other stuff). If you have a superior product and can get it out in the world, you should do fine in this business. If you shortcut, eventually it will catch up with you. No more regulation, please!!! We have enough to deal with already.

Sam Walton: "There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."

Some people keeping track of the whiskey side of things...

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html

I think Chuck might be laying into some people or working with someone on this issue.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/07/urge-your-congressional-representative.html

While I 100% agree with Chuck, his self opinion is 10,000 X greater than any actual political influence. Real change is going to have to come from within the industry. I do suspect the Templeton class-action lawsuit will give those skirting §5.36(d) a real wakeup call.

While I 100% agree with Chuck, his self opinion is 10,000 X greater than any actual political influence.

Very well said.

Hopefully, like you said, people will take a hint from the example being made on Templeton/Tito's/ whomever else. Yet also it hopefully does not set a precedent... I like the idea of companies being more honest, i just do no like the overhanging threat of being sued to be the motivator.