types of corn for whiskey?

CHL6945

I'm VERY new to this and working on a business plan for a hobby distillery. I live in Indiana where there is an abundance of corn and we'd like to experiment with whiskey. Is there a particular type of corn that's better for distilling than others? I'm not really sure what type of corn I should be shopping for. Thanks in advance!

First, you should be aware that "experimenting" without a Distilled Spirits Permit (DSP) is not legal in the US.

Second, "hobbies" don't require business plans...and you won't be able to get a DSP for a hobby. The TTB is only interested in allowing serious business people to work for them...after all, it's their money.

Now that that's out of the way, every strain of corn will impart a subtly different flavor to the finished spirit, as will every strain of yeast. How you mash, your temperature profile during fermentation, everything about what you do will make some kind of change in the end product.

All of these things are changes that happen when you make beer, and that's a great place to start if you want to learn about the "front-end" of distilling...and it tastes great too (most of the time).

If you want to play around with something easy, and it has to be from corn, and it doesn't have to exactly fit the Standards of Identity (27CFR5.22), then you might want to run down to the beer supply shop, and get a few pounds of malted barley, and about 4 times that weight in something called pre-gelatinized corn flakes. That will help you avoid all the hassles of dealing with corn - it's the most difficult of grains to saccharify.

I just want to say that this discussion forum is for those who are, or want to start, a commercial, licensed, artisanal distillery.

You should read everything at the TTB website pertaining to distilling. We aren't going to teach you how to distill here. But will help you if you are planning on starting an artisanal distillery business.

I'm VERY new to this and working on a business plan for a hobby distillery. I live in Indiana where there is an abundance of corn and we'd like to experiment with whiskey. Is there a particular type of corn that's better for distilling than others? I'm not really sure what type of corn I should be shopping for. Thanks in advance!

...I love that book (worth the big bucks), but it's like jumping into the "deep end." That said, there's not much else out there that doesn't leave a feeling of "where's the beef?"

The Mike & Mike book is very good. http://www.amphora-society.com/The-Complea...ller_p_0-1.html

The Farm Products book is good. (David J Goldsmith) ISBN 1589633725 (a reprint from 1906 or so - all the old books rock - they're great)

Keep reading until the desire to distill goes away. If it doesn't go away, go find several million dollars....