Solera

PA_JoeDistiller

Hey everyone,

Lurker and first time poster. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a solera batch? Does it have to be a 3 barrel system? Or could it be two or even just one? I'm trying to think of a way that will maximize output and flavor.

Thanks!

I think the answer would depend on what you are making. You could definitely have 2 or more for anything I can think of, but if you want bourbon, for instance, it needs a new barrel so a 1 layered solera would not work.

I think the answer would depend on what you are making. You could definitely have 2 or more for anything I can think of, but if you want bourbon, for instance, it needs a new barrel so a 1 layered solera would not work.

Not a bourbon, though we do use new barrels. With a 2 barrel (or even three), the barrel that contains the mix always stays, but the upper barrel(s) are always replaced correct? Thank you for the help, I wasn't able to find many actual technical details online as to solera barreling.

Isn't a one barrel solera just a barrel?

Haha you're right, I had an idea in my head but realized no, that's not possible.

I run a solera where the first new oak barrels are all replaced but the next two layers only get halfway emptied (for my bourbon). For a classification that requires new oak dumping and not reusing the first cask (at least for the first layer of the solera) would always be a required step.

Generally, I would recommend that no addition to any solera cask is less than two years old at the time a product is released.

While I haven't tried the Solera system with Whiskey, it works exceptionally well with pear and apricot brandies, though again, the youngest contents are never less than two years old.

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to go wrong with the Solera approach, assuming that you've got the product and the time to keep going at it.

I know of a 10 liter barrel that has been neither empty nor full for many, many years.

It has been topped up with:

- smoked malt whiskey

- malt whiskey

- sugar shine

- rye whiskey

- bourbon whiskey

and a host of other delectables. It may be a stretch, but this barrel might be called a "one barrel solera".

It sounds like you have a specific idea that you're considering, yet you don't want to reveal it to the internet. I say go for it! Worst case scenario: you blend it into your solera batch that actually does end up tasting good.

Nick

Thanks for all the tips and tidbits everyone, really helpful!

And Nick Jones thanks for that, how does that "one barrel solera" taste now haha, seems like a real smorgasbord of whiskeys.

Thank you again for the input