DYE China?

Shindig

On 01/05/2015 at 12:38 PM, miller said:

As someone who has bought a lot of Chinese equipment over the years, I can honestly say you can get excellent buys from China BUT, you should plan on something being wrong somewhere. You should NEVER buy equipment from China and plan on installing it and have it run out of the box. Everything needs to be checked carefully and tested before you even consider running. The testing etc applies to all equipment but more so with the Chinese.

If you are prepared and undersatnd the short comings you can do very well buying from the Chinese.

Having used China alot for prototypes and manufacturing, one of the bigs things is they use a lot of pirated software, which affects the outcome of the final result. Whether it’s colour or size, samples are a must in any circumstance to avoid any surprises on landing. 

Take colour for example. We got a bunch of prototypes (Packing) made and designed in China and the final result was what we were after. When they went to production, the colour that was specified was off, as they used a second provider to help meet deadlines. What  occurred, when they gave them the files, they put it in their system,  but the colours didnt match what was being outputted at the printer in the pantone colour system. It resulted in two batches of packaging - one that was good from the original supplier, and the second from the other supplier that was way off as the second supplier had pirated software to cut down costs and inferior printing inks. Not a big issue for small orders, but a few thousand later, it can be a very expensive outcome. Just pays to do due diligence with Chinese providers on any works over seas.Hope this helps :)

10 minutes ago, Ozman said:

Take colour for example. We got a bunch of prototypes (Packing) made and designed in China and the final result was what we were after. When they went to production, the colour that was specified was off, as they used a second provider to help meet deadlines. What  occurred, when they gave them the files, they put it in their system,  but the colours didnt match what was being outputted at the printer in the pantone colour system. It resulted in two batches of packaging - one that was good from the original supplier, and the second from the other supplier that was way off as the second supplier had pirated software to cut down costs and inferior printing inks. Not a big issue for small orders, but a few thousand later, it can be a very expensive outcome. Just pays to do due diligence with Chinese providers on any works over seas.Hope this helps :)

Most likely it was the ink and not the software. The pantone colors are set in the programs regardless of if its pirated its just a number value. There should have been a press check before you went to print with them.   Press checks are very common no matter what software people run because the ink can vary from batch to batch the software doesn't change.  

I have decided to use DYE and have put my deposit down.  They were on top of every question I had and provided references for me to call.  Every reference had the same hesitation as me, but in the end loved working with them.  They all got their equipment ON TIME, with no issues.  One reference said they needed a part and DYE sent it overnight through DHL.  Their customer service seems to be excellent.  I will post more once I get my equipment.  I am in Alaska so I will not be receiving until December.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/10/2017 at 6:12 AM, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

I have decided to use DYE and have put my deposit down.  They were on top of every question I had and provided references for me to call.  Every reference had the same hesitation as me, but in the end loved working with them.  They all got their equipment ON TIME, with no issues.  One reference said they needed a part and DYE sent it overnight through DHL.  Their customer service seems to be excellent.  I will post more once I get my equipment.  I am in Alaska so I will not be receiving until December.

Will be interesting to hear how you go. I have heard some good things, but never through anyone directly so will be good to see the final result at your end. 

On 19/10/2017 at 9:51 PM, whiskeytango said:

Most likely it was the ink and not the software. The pantone colors are set in the programs regardless of if its pirated its just a number value. There should have been a press check before you went to print with them.   Press checks are very common no matter what software people run because the ink can vary from batch to batch the software doesn't change.  

Absolutely could have been the case. China is all about time and keeping their machines running - but good to know the overall cause. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Winnie the Pooh said:

Any updates?

We got our still in a few weeks ago.  We have not installed it since we are just finishing up construction. But i can tell you it was a seamless process from ordering to them shipping it and handling all he customs.  Equipment showed up in great shape and very clean.  Looks like we could run out of it without even doing a cleaning run. We won't but it definitely looks clean. 

• Thumbs up 1

On 12/20/2017 at 10:00 PM, Winnie the Pooh said:

Any updates?

We got a little delayed due to our shop not having 3 phase electric.  We ended up going with 3 phase motors, and using a converter to single phase.  Our shipment will not be going out until 1/26 now (about 3.5 weeks late) however this was a fluke.  We are suppose to be receiving shipment in Alaska by mid February.  I will keep everyone posted; so far happy with my decision.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Jaguiler said:

Alaskan, Whiskey -  

Any updates?  Which still type and size did you purchase? 

Thx

Im up and running with mine,  450 gallon set up with two columns so I can do vodka and everything else thats lower proof.  Just like every new piece of equipment it took a run to work out the kinks but runs smooth once you get it dialed in.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.  

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 3:33 AM, Jaguiler said:

Alaskan, Whiskey -  

Any updates?  Which still type and size did you purchase? 

Thx

We are 4 ferments in, 3 stripping runs in, and almost ready for a spirit run.  Minor missing parts, one inlet made too small (was suppose to be one inch and was made 3/4 inch).  DYE aired missing parts, and is going to reimburse for having a welder fix the inlet.  I HIGHLY recommend Melissa there and she has been great to deal with.   Just give yourself more time than you think!  Time is not on your side with anything in this business.  Still waiting on bottles from China - nightmare story.  DYE has been great. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2018 at 10:37 AM, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

We are 4 ferments in, 3 stripping runs in, and almost ready for a spirit run.  Minor missing parts, one inlet made too small (was suppose to be one inch and was made 3/4 inch).  DYE aired missing parts, and is going to reimburse for having a welder fix the inlet.  I HIGHLY recommend Melissa there and she has been great to deal with.   Just give yourself more time than you think!  Time is not on your side with anything in this business.  Still waiting on bottles from China - nightmare story.  DYE has been great. 

Can you share your 'bottle from China' nightmare story here or a new thread? 

14 hours ago, spiritzzz said:

Can you share your 'bottle from China' nightmare story here or a new thread? 

Chinese bottles from a western owned or run factory only.  Or you WILL be sorry.  Don't believe brokers or salespeople in the US who simply contract with Chinese factories for bottles.  They cannot control the factories.  And it is simply not worth it at all.