Long Mash converstion time

johnrobben

I have a mash that's about 80% flaked wheat and 20% two row. I'm having a hell of a time getting starch conversion in under 24 hours. anyone help out? I am assuming it's the high dose flaked wheat? if so would doing a regular cereal mash of milled wheat help?

any and all help appreciated.

What is your current mashing procedure like? Are you using enzymes at all?

I've read that some brewers using flaked wheat will also use 6-row for its higher enzymatic activity. Have you considered supplementing or replacing your 2-row with 6-row? With this route it seems that your protein content would be much higher, so foaming in the fermenter and wash still would be more of an issue...

You should bring your cooking temperature up to 180 and probably use ground wheat. What type of wheat are you using? Soft white is best, then soft red. Hard wheats have more protein as such less starch and cost more. If you are in a hard wheat region you should use a protease to break down the proteins. We use malted wheat and novozyme enzymes.

you'll get a faster and more complete conversion with enzymes, cost is minimal and it had no effect on flavor.

i recommend using them even when doing a high malt content mash.

for a 20% malt 80% corn mash, you might have better luck using distillers malt for at least half of that malt content, it has a much higher diastatic power than 2 row.

yes as mentioned, PH and temps play a huge role in conversion, ph off by a bit can lead to long or incomplete conversion.