Tasting Rooms

We just got Wisconsin's laws changed and we will finally be able to pour samples and sell our product (bottles and cocktails). Because we couldn't do tasting at the distillery before, we were offering tours two days a week and going to a local licensee to pour the samples. This worked all right but I'm hoping for a bit more interest (and sales) as we expand into this new area of business.

So, those of you with tasting rooms, what kind of hours are you open? Do you charge for tastings? How often do you offer tours? Also any general advice you can offer including what not to do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The tasting portion of our walkthru lasts as long or longer than the facility tour. People ask more questions and really engage when at our tasting bar. From this, some general advice is to plan on a lot more time per visitor when you add tastings, and make your tasting area comfortable for both you and a reasonable number of guests.

-A

Hello Guy

We just started regular hours, going with Friday and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm. Will see how this works for us.

Hello Guy

We just started regular hours, going with Friday and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm. Will see how this works for us.

We are open M-F 8-5 and Saturday 10-4. We do tours and tastings at any time. As a result, we are averaging $15K plus in monthly retail sales.

Don

We are open M-F 8-5 and Saturday 10-4. We do tours and tastings at any time. As a result, we are averaging $15K plus in monthly retail sales.

Don

Our laws have always allowed tastings and tours of our products only. Our hours are Tuesday through Saturday 10 till 4. Closed on Sunday and Monday. Very small town 2000 population. Sales through store here is between 6 to 7 thousand a month. We do not charge for tastings. Coop

Thanks for the response all!

Anyone charging for the tasting? If we were out of the city I might consider free, but being near a couple universities I want to avoid attracting students who just want to "get their drink on". If you charge for tasting, what amount? We're planning $3 which we will credit on the first bottle they buy. Thoughts/experience anyone?

How do you market your tasting room and tours? Obviously our website and newsletter, but we're considering brochures in hotels. Any comments or other ideas?

Thanks again!

Hello Guy

As for the tasting end we just sample a small amount and serve it in "communion cups" that are bought online. The are small plastic cups that hold just a taste, I'll bet it is not much more than a tablespoon. More than enough for a taste but no one would want to come in and waste their time trying to get a jump on a Friday or Saturday night buzz. This gives us the option to refill for a second taste if we want to but the amounts are perfect. We found the source online by searching for communion cups or give me a call and we can pull the order.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Those communion cups are a great idea. Nice shape, clear, and they hold 1/2 ounce full, so 1/4 ounce when half full. Perfect. $10 for 1,000, plus shipping.

Hello Guy

As for the tasting end we just sample a small amount and serve it in "communion cups" that are bought online. The are small plastic cups that hold just a taste, I'll bet it is not much more than a tablespoon. More than enough for a taste but no one would want to come in and waste their time trying to get a jump on a Friday or Saturday night buzz. This gives us the option to refill for a second taste if we want to but the amounts are perfect. We found the source online by searching for communion cups or give me a call and we can pull the order.

Kent