rye source

captnKB

Hi All,

I am searching for someone who can supply rye by the truckload on the west coast, anyone know of a company out there? Ive searched all over but have had little luck

• 3 weeks later...

John,

Which rye do you use from montana milling? We received samples from them and am unsure whether to use medium cracked rye or rye meal?

If anyone else would like to chime in Id love to hear how finely the rye is ground for your whiskeys.

I am concerned that rye meal may be too difficult to deal with but also worried that cracked rye will have low yield

Captn,

We use the flour....in everything we do. Yield is higher, distills on-grain easily, just all around easier to deal with. Be sure to use enzymes capable of breaking down Rye, not just some malted barley. You really need to kill this stuff or you'll make pancake batter than we heated turns into a bio-plastic.

Cheers,

McKee

Hi John, I saw your recent article on in-mash milling which was quite interesting. Before that, what was your mechanism for doughing in the flour? We're very small scale so we can get away with just dumping sacks into the kettle, but it kicks up a bit of dust and can ball up some. I've seen grist hydrators at breweries but wondered how they'd cope with flour.

Andy,

We saw that too in our old mixing regime, mostly with the rye. The single malt and bourbon washes weren't as bad. The best way of dealing with them was to setup a pump, pull off the bottom of the tank and return to the top of the tank during the mash. By turning over the tank a few times we could usually break up the clumps.

Our system does also use a grist hydrator at the point of entry from the flexible conveyor (we use 2000 lb supersacks). To deal with it from a dumping the bags perspective (which we also used to do) the best route is to recirc that tank and use that action to break up the clumps.

Cheers,

McKee

• 2 months later...

John, do you have any reference/specs for your flexible conveyer from super sacks? We're currently using super sacks but manually weighing batches and manually doughing in with buckets. It kicks up an atrocious amount of dust. I'm curious how your auger works if you're willing to share.