WARNING: Oak Wood Barrel Co.

MadMacaw

I can't believe I fell for their scam. After figuring out that they don't answer emails and the phone number listed on their website doesn't work, I checked the web and found your forum with the warning about oakbarrels.com. I called my credit card  bank and blocked this "retailer", so they can't run another charge. I'm hoping I will get my money back from the bank. The saying "it's to good to be true" should be taken seriously. Whoever is behind that scam is doing it for years now and the website has not been shut down. Any ideas what to do to prevent them to find another victim?

Wondering if we could report this on Google. Most of the people are finding them via Google Search.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Fred70 said:

I can't believe I fell for their scam. After figuring out that they don't answer emails and the phone number listed on their website doesn't work, I checked the web and found your forum with the warning about oakbarrels.com. I called my credit card  bank and blocked this "retailer", so they can't run another charge. I'm hoping I will get my money back from the bank. The saying "it's to good to be true" should be taken seriously. Whoever is behind that scam is doing it for years now and the website has not been shut down. Any ideas what to do to prevent them to find another victim?

• 3 weeks later...

They are currently still active and are a scam as of 1/8/2017. Their MO is still the same. Luckily I asked for references since they have major companies listed, completely ignored the question and wouldn’t answer. Called the number listed on the website, it’s a Canadian number and is disconnected. 

Not sure why the site hasn’t been shut down, but it should. Oakwoodbarrels.com is a complete scam. 

On 12/21/2017 at 12:43 PM, vsaks said:

Wondering if we could report this on Google. Most of the people are finding them via Google Search.

Getting a site shut down through Google is very difficult. The simplest tactic is to post information about the company with negative keywords nearby. "OakwoodBarrels.com is a Scam". That kind of thing. Post it on your blog, here, on other forums, etc. This thread is already the third result in Google when you search for "Oak Wood Barrels", and I'm certain that reading this thread has prevented at least some people from following through with a transaction. It's a dirty tactic, but effective as long as the sites you're posting to are considered trustworthy by Google and other search engines. 

A more direct option is to report abuse through OWB's domain registrar. Most domain registrars take abuse reports pretty seriously, as their accreditation with ICANN is on the line. Registrars always have policies about what kind of content they will allow registrants to host. Companies engaged in illegal activities are pretty near the top of the list for disallowed content. 

Oakwoodbarrels.com's domain registrar is ASCIO. ASCIO's abuse email is abuse@ascio.com, and their abuse phone number is +44.2070159370

The problem with a company like this is that as soon as oakwoodbarrels.com stops being viable, I'm betting they will pop up with a new name and a new website.

I can relate to this in South Africa.  I got caught with a similar scam selling Chinchona bark.  Telephone numbers worked, had a fictitious address.  Everything was peachy until my money was gone and no delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed ASCIO and copied in multiple websites that are reporting them as fraudulent. Nothing has happened. I actually never even got a reply email acknowledging my complaint.

Hopefully before people click on the purchase button, they do a little research. I have dealt with The Barrel Mill, ISC and Kelvin Cooperage. All are easy to work with and provide great barrels and customer service. oakwoodbarrels.com #scam #fraud