Fruit Peelers

Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

Alrighty then.

So. One has a lot of citrus to peel - and I want to peel JUST the rind...wanna keep the rind but not the pith.

What machine in the world would do such a thing? I've dug all over and called a number of citrus peeling companies but so far I've not found this machine, but I hear that it's out there.

Anyone have any idea where one would find such a tool?

I've been wondering if a simple apple peeler would work...hmm.

Anyway. Thanks in advance.

Alrighty then.

So. One has a lot of citrus to peel - and I want to peel JUST the rind...wanna keep the rind but not the pith.

What machine in the world would do such a thing? I've dug all over and called a number of citrus peeling companies but so far I've not found this machine, but I hear that it's out there.

Anyone have any idea where one would find such a tool?

I've been wondering if a simple apple peeler would work...hmm.

Anyway. Thanks in advance.

If you find one be sure to post it here- I kinda think what you need wouldn't be a peeler but more of an automated zester (you want to leave the pith behind). We have a product that requires a lot of lemon zest. We typically get 3 of us sitting around a 10 gal pot with microplanes having a "zesting party". Let us know if you find a solution.

Well, it's been an interesting search.

The best that I have found is this one:

416TF97XQKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Starfrit-Electric-Rotato-Express/dp/B000GGQAN4/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251368143&sr=8-19

But, will it work on citrus? I have an e'mail out asking for the answer to this question, but we'll see. There are a number of plastic, manual options out there with wide blades, but something tells me that they'd work for about six and half minutes against the relatively strong skin of citrus.

I'm sure that there's more, but we shall see.

A.

• 3 months later...

I know in the US military they used to have a cement mixer looking machine that had abrasive like sandpaper inside to peel potatoes. It did this slowly, so you would not lose much inner potato. I think if you were able to time it out right you would be able to just have the outermost layer abraded off and leave the pith intacted on the citrus. The zest could than be washed out and kept.

I am not sure what the commercial potato chip/french fry processors use, but they may have something similar that could be retrofitted.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!!!

Yeah...no. I've not found anything yet.

The apple peelers are nowhere near strong enough for citrus...

Still looking.

• 2 weeks later...