Tasting Events

HBD

I'm in California. There is a local Beer and Wine Fest that's coming up. ABC said that I am NOT allowed to taste at the event because it is open to the public. You must have a ticket to get in, but there is only 1000 tickets.

Maybe I'm not understanding this or there's a loophole somewhere, wasn't the recent Brandy Conference open to the public. Advice anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I would call Bill Owens or one of the folks who organized the Brandy event, my guess is they got a special permit or dispensation from the liquor commission for the event. California's liquor commission should have some regulations or rules it is following, so perhaps you will find something in there? I haven't researched this issue, but the interactions I've had with folks in CA have led me to believe that liquor tastings are not allowed in most cases, unless a special permit (which is very expensive) is obtained.

It would be great if someone from CA could shed some more light on the subject.

I would call Bill Owens or one of the folks who organized the Brandy event, my guess is they got a special permit or dispensation from the liquor commission for the event. California's liquor commission should have some regulations or rules it is following, so perhaps you will find something in there? I haven't researched this issue, but the interactions I've had with folks in CA have led me to believe that liquor tastings are not allowed in most cases, unless a special permit (which is very expensive) is obtained.

It would be great if someone from CA could shed some more light on the subject.

I'm in California. There is a local Beer and Wine Fest that's coming up. ABC said that I am NOT allowed to taste at the event because it is open to the public. You must have a ticket to get in, but there is only 1000 tickets.

Maybe I'm not understanding this or there's a loophole somewhere, wasn't the recent Brandy Conference open to the public. Advice anyone?

Here is the answer from Drew, he was the person who obtained the permit from ABC.

For the spirits festival we had in April, we got a one-day permit. You can download the form at http://www.abc.ca.gov/forms/PDFSpc.html.

It costs $25 a day. Ours had to be submitted no more than 30 days before the event, and no less than one week before the event. I had a lawyer help me fill it out. It seemed really daunting until I had some professional help. In retrospect, it was farely simple to apply and get the permit, ... but you have to know what you are doing.

I don't know what kind of license this festival that you hope to join has, so I don't know how it may or may not conflict with this type of permit. It is possible the organizers of this event may need to file for the permit instead of you. It may be that ABC is just saying no because it is easier for them. (edited) Some are quite knowledgeable and helpful and if you come across one, hang onto their name and number. If you have run into someone who is a roadblock, I would keep trying until you find someone who is helpful.

I just don't know all the specifics of what you are trying to do. Someone involved in spirits law should be able to sort this out and save you a lot of time. If you don't have a lawyer, Lynne Carmichael at Hinman Carmichael was very helpful to us.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Drew