tracking sales per customer

In Texas, there is a limit to two bottles per customer per month. I was thinking of a POS system that tracked drivers license numbers or something similar. Anyone know of a reasonably priced system that offers such an option? I've heard good things about Square, but didn't know if this was on option with their service. Thank you.

Following up to my own follow up and putting on my CTO hat...

Texas, along with many (all?) other states adher to AAMVA guidelines regarding drivers license (hereinafter DL) design including the barcode on the back and/or front of DLs. Two-dimensional barcodes are printed in PDF417 format. Although dull as ditchwater, the spec goes into excruciating detail about format, list, structure.

That I recall, SquareUp does not have the ability to scan a DL and associate it with a produce UPC code. However, I can't believe it would be too difficult to have an app written so you or your staff could scan a DL and UPC code and have them linked in a database. Doing it manually (keying in the DL number and selected item from a list) would be trivial.

• 1 month later...

Here in Florida,we had a 2 bottle per customer per year limit that recently changed to 2 bottles per brand(COLA) per person per year, which is a tracking nightmare. Based on what others were using in the state, I used Quickbooks POS with an add-in called Ability Total Customer from Ability Business, but it did not do the actual tracking of quantities, but that was easy to check before the 'per brand' increase in our sales limit.

I convinced Ability Business that this would be a worthwhile modification and worked with the software engineer to help him create this feature and bug-test it. Then current downloaded version seems to work exactly as most of us need it.

This only works with Quickbooks POS, so not for everyone, sorry!

ability total customer

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Florida,we had a 2 bottle per customer per year limit that recently changed to 2 bottles per brand(COLA) per person per year, which is a tracking nightmare. Based on what others were using in the state, I used Quickbooks POS with an add-in called Ability Total Customer from Ability Business, but it did not do the actual tracking of quantities, but that was easy to check before the 'per brand' increase in our sales limit.

I convinced Ability Business that this would be a worthwhile modification and worked with the software engineer to help him create this feature and bug-test it. Then current downloaded version seems to work exactly as most of us need it.

This only works with Quickbooks POS, so not for everyone, sorry!

That looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you very much for your help!