Professional Bottle Photography

Does anyone have any suggestions / referrals for a good professional photographer for spirits bottles? I've tried at home with so-so results and please don't post tips on how to improve the quality of home photos. This is something i've determined is better left to a true professional with expertise in lighting and proper (often really expensive) equipment. Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions / referrals for a good professional photographer for spirits bottles? I've tried at home with so-so results and please don't post tips on how to improve the quality of home photos. This is something i've determined is better left to a true professional with expertise in lighting and proper (often really expensive) equipment. Thanks!

I was trying to send you a note offline, but I think the site didn't allow it. Pardon the redundancy if you already got it.

I have been using a photography studio out here in Portland, OR: Polara Studio http://polarastudio.com/

They specialize in food/beverage. They did all the shots for our web sites (www.housespirits.com and www.aviationgin.com) and also do the work for St Germaine, as well as a bunch of the bigger names in beer, wine, spirits, food. They have a lot of experience in this stuff. Check them out.

Christian

• 5 weeks later...

For obvious reasons, virtually any commercial photographer in Louisville, Kentucky, will have extensive bottle shot experience. The best trick I learned from them is the bottle-shaped reflector that throws light into the bottle from behind, especially important when shooting aged whiskey.

• 4 months later...

We eventually found a photographer who offered an absolutely no-hassle professional job with exceptional results. The caveat? They are located in England. Yeah, i know i know, but it is the internet enabled 21st century and this is a global economy and they accept paypal.

Their website is http://www.weshootbottles.com . They do shoot them well.

If you are new to the game and have your hands filled with everything else involved with running the business you've started, contact these people, ship them your bottle (filled with water or colored water), and get a very hi-res down-loadable pic sent to your inbox in about 2 weeks. Costs about $100 plus $45 to ship the bottle there via USPS International mail.

I don't know where we'd be as a company or a brand without the pic of our bottle. If you've been on the fence about having a professional shot taken, jump off and hire these people to do it already.

-Scott

• 1 month later...

So, besides Scott's $100 UK bargain, whats a reasonable amount to spend on a proffesional shot? The graphics guy who did my label and is doing my website suggested 3 price points. $500: For this he'll get a semi-pro photographer ("wedding shooter") that he will work with to direct and stage the shot. $1200 for a professional with corporate liquor accounts in their portfolio. $15,000 plus expenses for a trendy fashion photographer who only has one name (I know, I just stopped laughing).

With those options $145 sounds like the clear winner! Has anyone dropped big bucks like this with results they swear they couldn't have gotten for less?

So, besides Scott's $100 UK bargain, whats a reasonable amount to spend on a proffesional shot? The graphics guy who did my label and is doing my website suggested 3 price points. $500: For this he'll get a semi-pro photographer ("wedding shooter") that he will work with to direct and stage the shot. $1200 for a professional with corporate liquor accounts in their portfolio. $15,000 plus expenses for a trendy fashion photographer who only has one name (I know, I just stopped laughing).