reverse osmosis water system

HottyToddy77

I was looking at this system with a float switch and filling a 550 gallon tote 

https://www.espwaterproducts.com/flexeon-at-1000-reverse-osmosis-commercial-system-1000-gpd-110v/

I have very soft well water, my water test only showed Manganese. The amount was .275 ppm it was considered high and noted that it would color my fixtures. No chlorine or other minerals were detected.

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2016 at 9:09 AM, RobertS said:

We have a Culligan brand system. Haven't used anything else for comparison, but no complaints.

What type of set up do you have?  We are in a small town and there is a Culligan location somewhat close by.  I want to use them so that if we needed servicing or parts, they are close by?  Do you have a reserve water tank?  I have known others who leave the water on overnight or for a few hours and fill an IBC tote so they had enough to proof since the water was slow.  Thoughts?  Thanks. 

I have the ROSCOMP-450 which does 450 - 600 GPD.  We bought the float with it that we mounted into the side of our fresh water tote and turn it on the afternoon before we are going to proof and we have plenty of water in the morning and the float cuts the power to the unit, so no overflow at night.  I bought it from ESP Water Products that HottyToddy77 was looking at for another unit.  Easy to change the filters also.

Don't have part numbers, but we have a couple of small (3 feet of 3 inch pvc shell) membrane filters in sequence. Makes about 10 gallons an hour, so planning is needed. I keep a 10 gallon milk can sealed up with RO water and clean it regularly, mostly for rinsing things. When I need more than that, I'll fill one of my 80 gallon tanks the day before/morning of.

1 minute ago, RobertS said:

Don't have part numbers, but we have a couple of small (3 feet of 3 inch pvc shell) membrane filters in sequence. Makes about 10 gallons an hour, so planning is needed. I keep a 10 gallon milk can sealed up with RO water and clean it regularly, mostly for rinsing things. When I need more than that, I'll fill one of my 80 gallon tanks the day before/morning of.

Standard membrane sizes near yours are:

2521 (2.5" in diameter and 21" long), and
2540 (2.5" in diameter and 40" long).

Hopefully your system uses standard-sized membranes.

Russ

• 6 months later...

When you look to invest in this sort of system, assure it uses non-proprietary components.  If you don't, you'll likely pay extra for your initial purchase, and you'll certainly pay extra for maintenance/operation.

Russ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/3/2017 at 9:39 PM, Mulderbri said:

We use the carbon filter and go straight to the RO system.  That same carbon filtered city water is used for our mashing but not run through the RO.  We have heard about the chloramine and it not being filtered out in the charcoal filter.  indyspirits.....do you think adding the potassium metabisulfate makes that much of a difference?

Chloramine can be treated with carbon, but the key is correctly sizing the carbon tank, and using the correct kind of carbon.  We see a fair number of vendors of water treatment equipment who don't do this, btw.

Russ

15 hours ago, Buckeye Hydro said:

Chloramine can be treated with carbon

My understanding is that chloramine treatment via AC is 100% dependent on contact time -- some combo of a big-ass AC bed and appropriate flow rate.  FWIW, we only soften before RO.  

We size carbon tanks,  based upon EBCT - empty bed contact time.  To help reduce the size/expense of the tanks needed to accommodate the longer contact time needed to treat chloramines, we use a special fast-acting (catalytic) carbon.

Russ