ADI Forums
Wayward

What ever happened to iStill?

Making bacon vodka at the Utah distilling class!

We just finished another amazing 4-day workshop at the New World Distillery, Eden, Utah. And here's some interesting news ... we'll be back in September with an 4-day whiskey workshop! For more workshop pictures, please see:

IMG_4100.jpg

Thought you might like this .... someone's beer in SA.

IMG-20180504-WA0002.jpg

Haha, Odin Honey Beer ... sounds a bit like the magic formula we are working on together with Panoramix to help clean up heads and tails ...

IMG_1006.jpg

I was a bit slow with Panoramix trying to figure that one out.  Still read these today.  Brilliant stuff.

Yes it is! We are working on some amazing new stuff over here, in Amsterdam, as well, by the way. More info soon. We are currently testing out 4 new innovations aka still designs. More info will follow in the coming months.

At the assembly hall, we are finishing 4 new iStills 2000. One goes to Japan, the others go to the USA. Here's a picture:

IMG_1015.jpg

Are u ever doing steam jackets and larger columns? The run times on those electric 2000 liter must be long?

Hi MGL,

We design our systems in such a way that they do a run (including stabilization, heads, and tails cuts) in around 8 hours. We (and more importantly: most of our customers) feel that's most economical, because you now only charge/discharge and heat-up once, instead of having to do it twice (because of a relatively smaller boiler and/or a bigger column with bigger power input). So ... for us it is not about bigger columns but about sizing columns and boilers in a very precise matter. Hope that makes sense.

Not a fan of indirect heating via steam. I'd hate to loose out on t-delta triggered Maillardization in the boiler. Also in the tests we did some time ago, there is no way around it: indirect heating asks for more material and is slower to respond to different gas settings. In my theory of distillation (and the machines I design based on this), vapor speed is king, so perfect (and direct) control over these is a primary goal. Hope that makes sense as well.

Regards, Odin.

Here's the first one of a series of three movies explaining how Single Malt Whisky is made on an iStill 500. The general outline of the process, and how we mash. Fermenting and distilling will be the topics of the second video. And the third one? Well in the third video we'll dive in deeper and take it to a new level ... But hold your horses, here is a first movie as an introduction with some benefits ...

https://istillblog.com/2018/05/08/how-to-make-single-malt-whiskey-1/

• reaction_title_1 2

Very nice video.  Waiting on edge of stool for episodes 2 & 3.

:) I am so happy to have an actual distiller do this normally instead of me!

A quick query on your cracked malt that you used.........

Surely it was not milled fine enough i.e. basically flour.  I say this because;

1. The finer you mill it the more flavour is realised
  2. You have no lauter tun so are not worried about blockage of a false bottom
  3. You no doubt will be fermenting and distilling on the grain

Yes, on the grain. So pretty much all that flavor (and more) will come over. Or so is our experience, while making single malt over the last years (even though on the grain distilling is not something often done in Scotland). I like the grains cracked to minimize dust (and potential bacterial contaminations) and to ease mixing in. Others may choose differently.

"We are proud to announce that Bedlam was just awarded an international Double Gold and Best in Show, which is given to the best spirit regardless of type, at the Stuttgart International Spirits Competition in Stuttgart, Germany.  We are humbled by the recognition!"

Brandon, Scott, Shane, Sam and all the others on your amazing team ... congrats on winning this amazing award. Biggest grain to glass distillery of North Carolina. And the best. Proud to have you run our iStills 2000 and 5000!

Regards, Odin.

image004.jpg

image005.png

This is a short story about me instead of "just' iStill. How Odin is doing? Well, very well, thank you for asking! A few months ago, I was in bad shape. Overweight and tired. I went on a diet and feel amazing. Lost 15 kilo's of fat (33 pounds) while gaining 5 kilo's of muscle (11 pounds).

Full of energy and very busy designing new ground breaking continuous stills, vacuum stills and working on a new heating system

I'll keep you posted!

Regards, Odin.

comparisson.jp2

• reaction_title_1 1

Flying over to Ireland to help set up a distillery today and tomorrow!

e9f1bd21-8e0d-4e5c-834a-22ab2ea750d7.JPG

15e0c02c-36ad-4ff5-a453-ce2a7adbf5b9.JPG

cc7c2fea-0776-46ab-b0b0-38f2ac541f6f.JPG

ac6e2839-b105-43d3-8a16-26d5fc320386.JPG

Busy times over here at the iStill Factory. We are working on a batch of five i2000's for the USA right now. With agitators for on the grain whiskey production. Here are some pics:

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

At Amsterdam Airport and about to fly out to Delhi, India, where I accompagny the Dutch government on an official trade mission. Looking forward to visiting the sub-continent. Hope there is time for some sight seeing, but it will probably be like 95% trade and business talks and formal obligations. Anyways, if I can shoot a few nice pics, I'll do that and maybe share them here.

Regards, Odin.

The first series of heaters for the all new iStill Mini are ready!

b840a7fd-10b8-4d59-aa8c-9fd801fa7861.JPG

And here is the power controller we designed for the iStill Mini ...

4080eeb3-5133-4c53-966f-2f562c5dfb8d.JPG

The guys are working on sound insulating the iStill University hall. Less reverberations is the goal and we are getting there ...

IMG_1314.jpg

929f3293-ef11-4a94-9688-3a3a2693b7b7.JPG