ADI Forums
Wayward

What ever happened to iStill?

4-day iStill certified whiskey distilling workshop in Utah. From September 2 till 5. Interested? We still have a few places left. Reach out to Veronika@iStillMail.com!

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

• reaction_title_1 1

Do you know if there will be another workshop in the USA in 2018?

Not sure. Please ask Jason via Jason@iStillmail.com, Still_Holler!

Regards, Odin.

Close to finishing the production of the first batch of 50 iStills Mini. Our new 1.5 galon  product development, test and training still. Here are a few pictures. What's next? Assembly. Then testing. Then dispatch. We expect to send the first units in around 2 to 3 weeks from now ...

Regards, Odin.

0e72e81d-8b13-4263-8951-e7142e76fc52.jpg

7f23b58d-5a20-46ee-8e48-4d6965e5abee.jpg

Building 50 power managers for the iStills Mini ...

d380e6be-03d1-41f9-9133-56f6f9b963e6.JPG

Hi there

We designed a new innovation: indirect heaters. Here is a picture of an i2000 we are building. It has 3 screw in holes to accomodate the new indirect heating system. This is a picture taken before the acid bath, so welds look a bit dirty still.

Regards, Odin.

c974f817-9201-472a-89bb-1f354b6e1e63.jpg

Interested in the art and science of whiskey making? We still have a few places left on our Whiskey Workshop in Utah! For more info, check out link underneath.

274e0c88-1bf3-4e0f-8969-c5a481291946.jpg

Here is a post on how to remove sulfur dioxide from wine and cider. Important if you want to concentrate old wine or cider into a brandy. With a calculator:

https://istillblog.com/2018/08/23/odin-removes-sulfur/

Regards, Odin.

Hi folks,

It is so busy here at iStill, that assembly spills over onto the iStill University Hall. A luxury problem, until we have the next additional (and adjacent) hall ready. October 15th that is.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

Interesting recipe.  If you for fermentation were to instead use fresh cane juice, would you use the same amount of yeast.

I know by previous posts that you really like to use bakers yeast, but is there any other better or recommended yeast for an improved taste profile.

Lastly would you during fermentation advocate agitation after the remaining yeast is sprinkled on surface top.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

I'll try to answer your questions one by one:

1. Yes, I would. And learning from the experience, I see speedy drops in pH, so beefing up calcium content with BiCarb is needed.

2. There are a few reasons I think bakers yeast works fine here. Firstly, it tolerates higher fermentation temperatures. And since this is a fruity, tropical product, higher fermentation temperatures (30c would be my choice) seem in order. Also bakers yeast doesn't ferment as dry as for instance distillers yeast. A little remaining sugar will create some more depth to the taste profile while distilling it on our direct fired stills (Maillard Reaction).

3. I normally do not advice to stir dry yeast in. Instead, let it sit on top and slowly re-hydrate for a lower yeast cell mortality.

That's my take on it.

Odin.

thanks

Currently finishing our first batch of 50 iStill Mini's, that we offer to customers for their product development. Here are pics of the column cooler.

The first batch of 50 iStills Mini sold out in 3 weeks, by the way. We decided to make another batch before the end of 2018.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

That is some nice looking stainless!  What pressure to you design and hydrotest the water side of the shotgun condenser to?

Thanks Graffy! 200 bar if I am not mistaken.

Regards, Odin.

Yes, you are right of course!

BTW, we organize another 4-day distilling course. October 8 till 11. In Amsterdam, the Netherlands. There are still a few places available. Odin's theory of distillation, still design and how to have your still harvest the right tastes, mashing and fermenting, making whiskies, gin, and some vodka. Working with the iStills 500 and 2000, and of course the iStill Mini. Taste training, food pairing. Dinner & fun together. If any of you are interested, please email to Veronika@iStillmail.com.

Regards, Odin.

• reaction_title_1 1

Today we will be shipping another iStill 2000 to Japan. The unit has our new indirect heating system as well as Dynamic Cuts Management, for total control over cuts. It will be used for Japanese whisky production. Here is a picture of the i2000 sitting on its pallet. Ready for pick-up and crating.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1983.jpg