ADI Forums
Wayward

What ever happened to iStill?

Odin    45
Do you want to make the best #peach #liqueur, #essencia, or #brandy? Here's how you can use the #iStill Extractor Column to do so. A step by step instruction!

Odin    45
Yes Dsking416, that will be awesome! Already looking forward to the next Utah class. Last time was good, September's program will be even better with the new i500 NextGen in place!

The program for today, while I am still in Hungary? Well, apart from opening up the Hungarian market for iStill (more on that later), I am just finishing a last stripping. Tomorrow I'll use the small iStill 100 I have with me to turn it into 96% pure Hearts. The day after I am going to make an apricot brandy or essencia out of it. I'll keep you posted!

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45
Hi Kelbor,

We are still testing with it ... on a 5 inch system! So far it seems that costs outweigh benefits.

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45
Congrats to Peter and his Blackwater Distillery for winning Gold at the IWSC! Great to have seen you move from an i250 to an i500 ... and we can't wait to get that i2000 moving!

Odin    45

We captured summer in a bottle, using the iStill Extractor column! We used the Extractor, in combination with an iStill 100, to extract the essential tastes from peaches ...

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45

Its a steep learning curve, Silk City! What basically happened is that I collected too much tasty oils given the solvency power of the (abv and amount) alcohol used. No problem for an essence one wants to use in other things, but as is ... yes, cloudy. So if one wanted to turn this into a drink as is, more gns or vodka would be needed for dilution. I used 20 kilos of dried apricots on 55 liters of 52% alcohol. The 20 kilo's would have been enough for 100 liters of alcohol or even more.

Yesterday, I added some of the essence back into the boiler and I was able to make a few great Hungarian style "Palinkas" (fruit brandy) with it. One "Hazi" style, so with quite some tails smearing and a high ABV, another one more like a commercial style, with a Hearts cut less wide and a lower ABV, and the third one is a so-called "Mezes Palinka", a peach brandy blended with acacia honey. I will try to upload some pictures later today. Ah (edit) ... here they are:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/istill-apricot-brandy-palinka/

Regards, Odin.

Thanks Odin, that's helpful.  Is the resemblance to a soxhlet extractor intentional or coincidental?  I can't see all of the plumbing to see if it works in the same manner.  Generally though, that much carry over I've only ever seen with higher vapor speed extraction.  Some very interesting things happen when vapor speeds are high enough to begin carrying over non-volatile flavor compounds, a technique used commonly in the extraction of botanical oils.  But, if you are working like a soxhlet, that shouldn't be the case.

Boy, Hazi, where do I start with that?  I was gifted a jar of some "very fine" hazi, wow was it rough.  Not just in tails (it was visibly cloudy at 110 proof), but the heads cut?  What heads cut.  I told the person, you've got to be fooling with me.  How do you simultaneously be happy that this person smuggled some back all the way from Hungary for me to try, but not have the heart to tell them it's absolutely awful!

Odin    45

Yes, its a giant Soxhlet indeed. Together with automation to run it, and cooler, etc. The configuration can be used for many things: extraction, distilling, mashing even ... and filtration!

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45

Meet the newest member of the #iStill Team:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/meet-popcorn/

We are going to use extended animations during our trainings and workshops. This is just a first glimpse. Courses and workshops? First in Amsterdam, early September, then in Utah, later in September. We are also organizing a shorter demo series. On advanced distilling and extracting. December 14 and 15 in Madison, WI: https://www.istill.eu/workshops

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45
Do you want to see how the latest iStill 5000 NextGen gets delivered to one of our customers in Canada? 5000 liter net capacity, that's around 1300 gallons. Here is the configuration they purchased:

And here are the pictures of the boiler being delivered:

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45

We are proud to be providing the Deeside Guys with the right stills to make amazing Scottish Single Malt Whisky! The 500 is up and running, congrats on your new iStill 2000!

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/istill-2000-nextgen-to-scotland/

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45

Since we educate around 200 Craft Distillers per year at the iStill Center, we decided to set-up a new hall just for that purpose. With iStills 100, 500, and 2000, and of course with the new Extractor Column. The new, so-called iStill University, will also host a laboratory with fast aging technology and an open deck, where we teach our advanced theories on distillation. Everything should be up and running within the next few days. Very exciting stuff!

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45

The Listoke Distillery in Ireland makes one of the best gins in the world. We are proud to be their partner!

Regards, Odin.

• Thanks 1

Odin    45
This thread was started by asking how iStill is doing. Well, we are doing fine indeed. And more importantly: our customers are doing great!

I want to congratulate Lorien and Kevin and their Loch Ness Distillery with making the best Scottish distilled spirits! And Kevin, thanks for coming by again. I hope the last two days were insightful. I know I had loads of fun! Good luck on assembling your new iStill 500 NextGen and putting it to good use!

Regards, Odin.

Odin    45
Introducing the new iStill educational facility! We put in a lot of work and money to further professionalize the way in which we train craft distillers from all over the world:

Odin    45

Good question! I'd say it is distilling. Not the extraction part of the process, but you put alcohol and water in a boiler, bring it to a boil and let the gases cool. These distilled liquids go into the extractor, which fills up, and then - via the syphon - is automatically deposited back into the boiler. So the whole process includes distilling.

If you look at the pictures in the above link, you see that the extractor and iStill 2000 (for sure a still!) work together. The distilling device creates the high ABV alcoholic liquid, the extractor is filled, and when full the resulting extraction returns to the still's boiler, where distillation starts again.

From a unit point of view ... the extractor is not part of the distilling device. In itsself it does not distill. It is "just" a very fancy reception vessel with benefits. No registration needed there. It can't distill on its own. No heating, no cooling, no gas creation capacity.

Regards, Odin.