Wayward

What ever happened to iStill?

Wow!  Thanks for taking the time to explain this all to me. 

So is the extractor powered by the still or separately powered?  

we have a setup working now but it’s still small. We are in the planning stages to upgrade and my long term goals include automation of as many processes as possible. 

I can forsee the 2000 filling the main need but it’ll be working most of the month.  Maybe we could run aging over the weekends more or less unattended. 

I wonder if the masher could be pressed into aging service?  This way I could mash or mix ferments some of the time and age the rest of the time. 

Do you make a fermentation automation system system where I could apply it to my existing fermenters and work with your existing software architecture?

do you have an iPhone/iPad app for your system?

my thoughts are that with a retrofit system and tablet/phone app software support (skip pc/Mac entirely) that you have the technology waiting to disrupt the whole industry.  The one caveat is the Capex for entry into your technology. 

The extractor is powered via the still. Our units are internet connected. Our masher can do fast aging. We always do systems integrated solutions, so no stand alone controls or controls useable for other fermenters (because system integration creates a 1+1=3 effect, while not all other fermenters offer our control over pH, temp, and O2 saturation/depletion).

And I may have some more important news to share. We have finished a first series of tests on what we call, as a work title, "iStill Potion Nr. 9". It is a carefully tailored yeast nutrient for various types of ferments (whiskey, brandy, rum). Tests with the whiskey base show that it helps half fermentation times (36h for 6% wash, 48h for 8% wash), while maintaining fermentation temperature as well as pH in range. Also more overall alcohol is created (total ABV per ferment), while pH does not crash. Esterification levels (more research needs to be done here) shows a very insignificant, if any, loss in flavor compared to longer fermentations.

We actually slightly underpitched. Where normally this batch size would see 250 grams, we only used 200 grams.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_3237.jpg

• Thanks 1

Proud to announce we are organizing more courses! The first one is in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. From June 17th till 20th. The second one is in Denver, USA, from October 21st till 24th.

Mashing, fermenting, distilling, and aging. Amazing new theories on alcohol production and flavor development, and hands-on distilling time!

For more information, please reach out to Veronika@iStillmail.com

Regards, Odin.

24583c49-5e1a-4232-923a-5a244c62d4ba.jpg

Stark Craft Beer from Bali, Indonesia is opening an iStill distillery!

Regards, Odin.

61428808_10156742447289051_8823685120478150656_n.jpg

And just to add to that ... for craft distillers that don't use iStills, may it actually be the App that is the more interesting innovation? I think it is ... because - in combination with the bluetooth thermometer probe and per second corrected for air pressure - it gives an unprecedented amount of control over distillation runs. You can do / set-up your own runs. Or download one of the pre-designed recipes (brandy, rum, whiskey, gin). The app monitors temperatures, corrects for air pressure where and when necessary, and informs you on when your cuts are due ... And it can operate on any still of any size.

What do you think?

Regards, Odin.

Try the Bedlam!

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bedlam-vodka-wins-gold-medal-at-2019-singapore-world-spirits-competition-300865838.html

Proud to have Graybeard Distillery run iStills in order to make their amazing long grain rice vodka.

Regards, Odin.

image002.png

Four more craft distillers will develop their whiskey, gin, rum, vodka, liqueur and brandy recipes ... on the iStill Mini Recipe Development Still:

Regards, Odin.

IMG_3266.jpg

On 6/8/2019 at 4:53 AM, Odin said:

And just to add to that ... for craft distillers that don't use iStills, may it actually be the App that is the more interesting innovation? I think it is ... because - in combination with the bluetooth thermometer probe and per second corrected for air pressure - it gives an unprecedented amount of control over distillation runs. You can do / set-up your own runs. Or download one of the pre-designed recipes (brandy, rum, whiskey, gin). The app monitors temperatures, corrects for air pressure where and when necessary, and informs you on when your cuts are due ... And it can operate on any still of any size.

What do you think?

Regards, Odin.

When and where can we get this?  I’m working on automation now so this is timely. 

Hi Fiji,

We are testing beta versions as we speak and plan to release the StillControl App just after summer. If you want to be kept in the loop, please email Sales@iStillmail.com and we'll put you on a list and email you when it gets introduced? May I ask what kind of still you have?

Regards, Odin.

Hi Fiji,

You could work with 2 or 3 probes. One near the bottom of the column, for insight of the remaining alcohol content in the boiler ... and for the tails cut. The other one above the top plate, to measure strength of product coming over. A third one could be used as an early warning, one or two plates down from the top.

Regards, Odin.

Busy day at iStill HQ! We had visitors from China that bought two iStills 5000 and eight fully controlled and automated fermenters for whiskey production.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_3278.jpg