Temperature correction

Jeff

Does anyone know of an online calculator or software that you can input temperature and proof data that will give temperature adjusted proof reading? I realize the TTB has the .pdf showing the tables. Does anyone know if the formula used to create the tables is something not to overly complicated so that maybe I could have a java based calculator created and if so where I might find the formula(s)?

Jeff

to my knowledge, such a program doesnt exist... i had to write my own. ( and let me tell ya... talk about tedious)

I put the TTB tables into excel and wrote a "double lookup" equation that first looks at the cell with the observed temperature, then the observed proof, and returns to an adjacent cell the "true" proof.

Dont forget you also have to weigh the sample and multiply by the wine gallon and proof gallon correction factors to get total volume, THEN multiply that volume by the correction factor to get the volume at 60 degrees... this is the number you are responsible for reporting to the TTB

Hey Jeff,

I know of a program that does that - however it's for European distillers and calculates to 20C. We are in the process of creating an online tool for KOTHE distillers that allows you to input this data and get answers. It will be available late Q2 of 2010. Give me a call and I'll point you to the European one. You essentially have to change the temperature calculation, but it's still easier than the tables.

All the best,

Robert

Kothe Distilling Technologies.

Award winning handcrafted German engineered potstills for the production of high quality fruit and grain spirits, as well as bioethanol. “Kothe Destillationstechnik” uses patented technology to specially engineer each still with solid quality and energy saving compounds to meet the particular needs of each distiller. Kothe Distilling Technologies is the sole representative of “Kothe Destillationstechnik” in North America, Canada, and Mexico.

--------------------------------------------------------

Kothe Distilling Technologies Inc.

5121 N. Ravenswood Ave

Chicago, IL 60640

http://www.kothe-distilling.com

info@kothe-distilling.com

(773) 295 4454

Does anyone know of an online calculator or software that you can input temperature and proof data that will give temperature adjusted proof reading? I realize the TTB has the .pdf showing the tables. Does anyone know if the formula used to create the tables is something not to overly complicated so that maybe I could have a java based calculator created and if so where I might find the formula(s)?

Jeff

Jeff,

There is an on-line calculator that does this, I use it all the time: http://www.copper-alembic.com/distillation_table.php

Works great!

Eric Watson

Master Distiller

Cayman Island Distilleries, LTD.

The article with the formulas was published in the Bulletin of the bureau of standards vol. 9 no. 3 pages 327-474, oct. 15 1913. I'm working on tracking it down but it could take a couple weeks to get a copy of it. I can't find volume 9 online so I'm having it scanned. I'll give you the formula when I get a hold of it if no one else finds it before then.

Chelsey

I found alcohol tables at 60 degrees so I spent the last few days doing data entry into excel to make a spreadsheet to calculate temperature correction for proof measurements.(TTB table 1)Works great! I plan on using other data I collected to figure weight/volume measurements for the spreadsheet next.

• 1 month later...

Here are the formulas as described in the book.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=7fd095727e3e04133e3c57a36a99e62e;rgn=div8;view=text;node=27%3A1.0.1.1.25.5.479.7;idno=27;cc=ecfr

This table is prescribed for use in correcting spirits to volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. To do this, multiply the wine gallons of spirits which it is desired to correct to volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit by the factor shown in the table at the percent of proof and temperature of the spirits. The product will be the corrected gallonage at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. This table is also prescribed for use in ascertaining the true capacity of containers where the wine gallon contents at 60 degrees Fahrenheit have been determined by weight in accordance with Tables 2, 3, 4, or 5. This is accomplished by dividing the wine gallons at 60 degrees Fahrenheit by the factor shown in the table at the percent of proof and temperature of the spirits. The quotient will be the true capacity of the container.

Example. It is desired to ascertain the volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit of 1,000 wine gallons of 190 proof spirits at 76 degrees Fahrenheit:

1,000×0.991 equals 991 wine gallons, the corrected gallonage at 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Example. It is desired to ascertain the capacity of a container of 190 proof spirits at 76 degrees Fahrenheit, shown by Table 2 to contain 55.1 wine gallons at 60 degrees Fahrenheit:

55.1 divided by 0.991 equals 55.6 wine gallons, the true capacity of the container when filled with spirits of 60 degrees temperature.

It will be noted the table is prepared in multiples of 5 percent of proof and 2 degrees temperature. Where the spirits to be corrected are of an odd temperature, one-half of the difference, if any, between the factors for the next higher and lower temperature, should be added to the factor for the next higher temperature.

Example. It is desired to correct spirits of 180 proof at 51 degrees temperature:

1.006 (50°)−1.005 (52°)=0.001 divided by 2=0.0005

0.0005+1.005=1.0055 correction factor at 51 °F.

Example. It is desired to correct spirits of 180 proof at 53 degrees temperature:

1.005 (52°)−1.003 (54°)=0.002 divided by 2=0.001

0.001+1.003=1.004 correction factor at 53 °F.

Where the percent of proof is other than a multiple of five, the difference, if any, between the factors for the next higher and lower proofs should be divided by five and multiplied by the degrees of proof beyond the next lower proof, and the fractional product so obtained should be added to the factor for the next lower proof (if the temperature is above 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fractional product so obtained must be subtracted from the factor for next lower proof), or if it is also necessary to correct the factor because of odd temperature, to the temperature corrected factor for the next lower proof.

Example. It is desired to ascertain the correction factor for spirits of 112 proof at 47 degrees temperature:

1.006 (46°)−1.005 (48°)=0.001 divided by 2=0.0005

0.0005+1.005=1.0055 corrected factor at 47 °F.

1.007 (115 proof)−1.006 (110 proof)=0.001

0.001 divided by 5=0.0002 (for each percent of proof)×2 (for 112 proof)=0.0001

0.0004=1.0055 (corrected factor at 47 °F.)=1.0059 correction factor to be used for 112 proof at 47 °F

Example. It is desired to ascertain the correction factor for spirits of 97 proof at 93 degrees temperature:

0.986 (92°)−0.985 (94°)=0.001 divided by 2=0.0005

0.0005+0.985=0.9855 corrected factor at 93 °F.

0.986 (95 proof)−0.985 (100 proof)=0.001

0.001 divided by 5=0.0002 (for each percent of proof)×2 (for 97 proof)=0.0004

0.9855 (corrected factor at 93 °F.)=0.0005=0.9851 correction factor to be used for 97 proof at 93 °F.

(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85–859, 72 Stat. 1358, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5204))