Wax tamper proof sealing

Classick

7. This I believe is the most important and most of you are unaware, but have a small bucket or pot of cold water handy. Once you are finished dipping, dip the bottle in the cold water for a few seconds (3-4) to get the wax cooled down. It will also make it shine a lot more.

Also comes in handy when you get some hot wax dripped on your hand!

I have been looking at this patent and lawsuit (won - I don't get it). I have some issues and concerns. (anyone from Makers Mark want to reply and help clarify, this would be great) I don't want to infringe on a legitimate Trademark.

I am doing Vodka with white wax and free form dripping.

Patent Reg. No. 1,370,465 states

FOR: WHISKY, IN CLASS 33.

THE MARK CONSISTE OF A WAX-LIKE COATING COVERING THE CAP OF THE BOTTLE AND TRICKLING DOWN THE NECK OF THE BOTTLE IN A FREEFORM IRREGULAR PATTERN.

How does Tequila or red come into play? For that matter is my Vodka with white an issue? Will you (Makers Mark) send me a nasty letter for White on Vodka?

Trademarks are supposed to be specific, arent they?

Lee

• 11 months later...

In regard to the Makers Mark claim on the dripping of wax,I see them now selling "Collectors Series" of "Bloopers" or mishandled wax and crooked labeled 375ml's. I am not a lawyer but I only imagine if you were to challenge their claim now they would be vulnerable. Since now they are selling variations of the drip which is no longer claimable to be unique, distinctive and recognizable. Just a thought to put out there if anyone had to cease or pay out of pocket for expensive defense. www.youtube.com/shopvin#p/a/u/0/p/a/u/0/cS_K0iSFvc4

• 5 years later...
On 11/18/2009 at 5:08 AM, grehorst said:

Yeah, amazes me that you could trademark something the laws of physics create.

T

On 11/17/2009 at 4:54 PM, Classick said:

lol

i dont think someone can trademark a drip... think about how many drips there are in public domain... paint dripping, water dripping, etc.

plus, i seriously doubt they'd be worried about the 100 cases of grappa im going to do.

They do, we received a cease and desist

I believe that the ruling stated something along the lines that Maker's Mark dripping red wax is iconic and unique enough to qualify as part of their branding trademarks. That doesn't extend to other colors of dripping wax or non-dripping red wax, just dripping and red. It isn't illegal to use dripping red wax, but if Maker's tells you to stop using it, they have the law on their side.

https://casetext.com/case/makers-mark-distillery